CHAPTER 8 - THE PAST

The next day, Mom and I went to the nearest lake. Grandma allowed us to go.

When we came to her room, she was  combing out the doll’s hair. She tried to make a tassel or ponytail with it. We said to her that we would back at noon.

“She is your grandma,” Mom said, laughing. “She like to make a ponytail with the long hair, that’s why my hair is short. I hate it when she plays with my hair.”

We rode to the lake. By driving Marty’s car, the way to the lake seemed easy.

She liked to drive in the rocky way and muddy way. It made her felt younger, she said.

That was me who didn’t like that kind of ways. I almost vomitted every time she rode the car recklessly.

“Here we go.” she openned her arms and welcoming me to the lake.

I amazed with the scenery in the lake. There was full of green grass and surrounded by the wood. In the edge of the lake, there was a big oak tree. Mom walked to that tree.

“This is a comfortable place where I lie along the day, waiting for the fish.” she said.

I lied on the grass, under the oak tree. I felt so much more than just comfortable. She set the fishhook and fish bait, while I lied on the grass read a good book.

“I knew you knew something Mom,” I said, when we spent an hour waiting for the fish.

She smiled, vaguely.

“I knew a bit. Grandma and I try to keep this secret, even from you.” she looked at me, “I don’t want you to involve.”

“The day when you said that someone stood behind me in the basement, I knew it clearly that she was her.” she continued.

“Who?”

“Elizabeth Astley,” she said, “Mom tried to revive her. Did you know who is Isabel Southgravs?”

I shook my head.

“She was a woman who suspected as a witch in a long time ago. People hang her on the Pendle Hill, above the stone where her name was sculptured.”

I tried to understand every word she said. It was hard to make sense. Grandma’s family was a witch, how could it happened! I thought they were the doll maker family.

“So, does grandma succes with the revival?”

“That is the thing we need to find out.” she said, “the woman you followed that night might be her spirit. She needs a vessel and her soul is not strong enough. It needs a sacrifice.”

To be continued

-------------------------
Vote & comment