CHAPTER 7 - ELIZABETH ASTLEY

I was sleep on that broken cottage. When the sunlight touched my face, I woke up and I felt cold.

The wet raincoat sticked on my body, then I took it off. Now, I could see everything clearly. The sculptured stone was clear in my vision.

There was Incubus name after the name of Isabel Southgravs. That word made me curious. At least I got something to do with the Incubus and Isabel Southgravs.

I knew it was hard to find the way home. I tried to seek the way by looking at the footsteps on the ground, and luckily the footsteps was disappear!

There was nothing to lead my way, so I used my feeling to coming home. It took five hours to walk around the wood and found grandma’s house.

When I stepped on the yard, I saw Mom cried on the bench. She sat unsteadily and suddenly raced to me when she saw me.

“Where you have been last night?” she grabbed my arms strongly.

I saw her frightened expression on her face. She was worrying me and I felt so guilty. My grandma walked from the door, she brought me a glass of water.

“It makes you better.” she said.

She smiled strangely. I could smell something different from her ordinary scent. It was not the scent of jasmine, it was like something burnt.

Both women accompanied me to have lunch. I almost starved and cold. I was lucky that no wild animal attacked me in the wood or on the hill.

“Where are you last night?” I looked at  my grandma, “when the light off, you were not in your room.”

Grandma grinned, she looked so calm and little bit pale in her skin.

“I sat near the doll.” she answered calmly.

How fool I was! Why I didn’t aim my flashlight to the doll, just in case to check it.

She might lie to me because I saw someone like her crawled down the window, but I didn’t have any proof that person was grandma.

When my grandma went to her room, I asked Mom.

“Is Isabel Southgravs your great-great-greatgrandma, Mom?” I asked

I count the ancestors in the family tree, till I mentioned that name. Mom startled. She looked pale then she made a husssh to me.

“Dont said it out loud.” she whispered to me, “how could you know that name?”

“I saw it on the Pendle Hill.” I said slowly, “that name was sculptured on the stone.”

“Why did you come there?”

“I followed grandma last night.”

“You must be sleepwalking, Alex,” she started to doubt, “grandma was in her room last night. You didn’t check her, did you?”

I goggled, I did check her! It was impossible, she was not in her room last night. I was sure that I saw her crawled down the window and ran to Pendle Hill.

“I followed her to Pendle Hill,” I said, “I swear!”

There came a long silence. Mom looked at the window, she thought about something, then she said in a low voice.

“She wasn’t grandma.” she said, “the one you followed last night wasn’t grandma.”

She looked at around, in case if grandma came to us in sudden.

“She was Elizabeth Astley.”

I realized that she knew something, I waited for her long story. I was sure that Mom pretended to know nothing for along time.

“I think you should join me to the lake,” she said in normal voice, with her eyes glance at me.

To be continued

-------------------------
Vote & comment