Making Amends

Niru woke up to a knock on his door, he opened his eyes and groaned... "Huh?" he said out loud confused out of his mind

He got up and opened the door rubbing his eyes but what he saw seemed to completely wake him up... "What're you doing here??"

"Goodmorning kiddo!" Nakul says way too hyper for this early in the morning.

Niru raised his eyebrow still confused.

"Uh... yeah, I got your milk!" Nakul says, giving him a glass of milk.

"I don't drink milk," Niru says pushing Nakul's hand away

"But Niru you have to drink milk... It'll make you big and strong like me"

"Why would I eat something that makes me like you? Anyway, where's mom? I need to talk to her"

"She's taking a break today... you can tell me"

"You won't understand... I'll only tell mom... only she cares"

"Don't say that Niru I-"

"Lying isn't good Rajkumar"

Nakul sighs slightly flustered, he just wanted his son to believe him

"Niru, like I told you yesterday... I am your father and you are my son... I know I made a mistake... that's why I'm trying to fix it, so I..."

"So you want to spend some time with me, right? But I don't want that! And I'm sure you don't wanna waste your time either," Niru says glaring.

"Being with my son isn't a waste of time i-"

"Isn't that what you thought my whole life?! Leave rajkumar!"

"SANA JUST LISTEN!" Nakul says letting his anger get the best of him, but he soon realizes his mistake "Niru I-"

"Don't worry Rajkumar, I won't mind that you called me by your favourite son's name or that you yelled at me" Niru says turning away

"Niru I didn't mean it, I'm sorry, I just got so used to saying his name that... that..."

"You couldn't remember mine?"

"Yes! Wait No... that's not what I meant"

"Then what did you mean??" Niru says raising an eyebrow

"I- "

"Why am I even asking? I don't care what you meant"

"Niru... please just listen to me kiddo! One day! Just give me a chance!"

"What will you do with one day?"

"I'll correct all my mistakes, I'll prove myself to be a good dad"

"And what if you fail?"

Nakul looks down, he knows that there's only one answer to that question "I'll leave... I'll never try to be a part of your life anymore"

Niru looks at him hurt by the answer but quickly hides it. "Good... then you have until midnight..."

"What should we do now? We should probably go eat breakfast... wait drink your milk first!" He says giving Niru the glass

"I told you already... I don't drink milk... I'm not a baby to drink milk"

"Niru I'll tell your mother!"

Niru sees this as the right opportunity to get his mother "Yeah Rajkumar call her, she'll ask you if you don't even know such a small thing about your son" Niru says emphasizing the words your son