Cruel Violence and Hollow Words

Warning: PTSD attack, incest, violence, manipulation, blackmail, mentioned pedophilia/abuse/death/suicide

***

Kicking off with the fall of Hope's Peak Academy, a maelstrom of despair engulfed the world we knew. The apocalypse we never thought was possible, started by a single high school girl, was named The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History for its cruel influence spreading throughout mankind. Even with many deterrents and attempt to sabotage the plans of the Ultimate Despair, they continued to impose their values and imprint them on the world-

"Nikei! I brought more rations!" Hajime called, making the journalist jump as he stopped in the middle of the sentence.

Nikei groaned and closed his laptop, resolving to finish his article later. "Coming, just hold on!" He yelled back, pulling off his blankets and walking to the eating area of the warehouse.

When the Tragedy began to unfold, the Children of Utsuro felt something strange ebb in them. When they came to the conclusion that it was Utsuro's Divine Luck fading from their bodies, they doubled their efforts and started to travel all over the world to look for him. However, they would always stay and recuperate in the same warehouse they lived in before they came to the academy. Nikei found it ironic that they ended up at the same place they began.

Emma came out from her corner and joined the boys. "Didn't Iroha go with you?" She asked the boxer.

"She's still scavenging, but it's not in an open spot. More like a space where only she can fit, so not even the Monokumas can get to her in there." Hajime explained, dividing the food items and saving a portion for the painter for when she returned. He also put some of the non-perishable foods off to the side so they could save them for later.

Nikei ate his portion slowly and quietly, looking down at the concrete ground. "Nikei? What's wrong?" Emma gently asked.

"...This is all my fault." Nikei sighed, tilting his hat downwards. "I absolutely fucked things up."

Hajime swallowed his food before joining the conversation. "Nikei, we've talked about this. It wasn't your fault, it was Junko's." He spoke sternly.

"Yeah, the Tragedy was overall her fault, and now she's safe in the damn old building! But who failed to sabotage that bitch?!" Nikei demanded. "I couldn't solve the mystery fast enough, I couldn't write the article fast enough, I was too dependent on Mikado, and I couldn't even stop him from becoming Junko's puppet!"

"Nikei..." The actress moved over to let Nikei lie on her.

"And it's my fault the Ultimate Despairs fucking lick Junko's boots now!" The journalist continued. "I published that article, and it didn't even make a fucking dent! All I've done is give them someone to worship!"

"That's enough, Nikei. You should eat your food, maybe it'll take your mind off everything." Hajime pushed the smaller boy's portion towards him, guilty at his inability to help. Nikei fell silent and accepted the food with a downcast face.

Suddenly, Iroha came into the open with an excited smile on her face. "Guys! I found some incense laying around!" She chirped with a few thin sticks in her hand.

"Ah, we should burn it then!" Emma's face lit up. "Come on, let's find something to do it on!"

Using a couple of paperweights to prop one up, they used a lighter to set the end on fire. But as the smell of the incense spread through the room, Nikei froze, not even able to breathe. The scent enveloping him was lavender, a reminder of a light that he'll never be able to see ever again...