Chapter 19

''Now Corviknight! Hit em' with a steelwing!'' The champion commanded her Pokémon. With a roar and the blink of an eye, the Pokémon striked down Hatterene.

The fairy-type Pokémon fell over and got sent back in its pokeball.
"Tsk," Bede groaned,"you only won because you're lucky. I'm far above you, I just... feel bad for you." The pink gymleader said with an arrogant gleam in his eyes.

Gloria sighed and called back her Corviknight. "Nothing wrong with just admitting you're just not as strong as I am~!" She said with a grin.

Bede took a step closer. "Why you- oof!" Opal was standing behind him, she smacked him on his head with her walking stick. "Why, Miss Opal?" He asked his predecessor with confusion.

"Don't be rude to the Champion now. Jealousy is not a pretty shade of pink, Bede." The old woman said as she gently sat herself down.

Gloria waved happily at Opal. "Hello Opal!" She gleefully greeted her.

Opal retired after Gloria and Bede finished the gym challenge. Opal used the challenge to seek a new successor for the fairy type gym - that's where she met Bede. Bede was a poor boy, an orphan whom Chairman Rose used to collect more wishing stars to help start the darkest day. Miss Opal took in Bede, and now he became the new gymleader. Gloria never really liked hanging with Bede before he got betrayed - he used to be a real asshole. She once punched him in his face when Bede hurt Hop, but ever since they've become close friends.

Gloria suddenly remembered something. She ran to her bag and took out a Pokémon egg. She walked back to Bede and gave the egg to him. "I've got something for you, actually! Ya see, my Eevees had a little bit... too much fun... at daycare. Once it hatches, you should play with it a lot! Hop told me it can evolve into a fairy-type if you do so."

Bede took the Pokémon egg, giving it a look. "An egg..." he glanced at Opal, Gloria, and back at the egg.

He was flustered but cleared his throat, trying to look as cool as ever. "I... I see. Of course, you can trust a trainer as strong as me to raise this Pokémon."

Gloria rolled her eyes at his arrogance. "Sure." She went along with it.

She did think Bede was a strong trainer. He was one of her strongest rivals, after all. She let out a relieved sigh as Bede gently strokes the egg. It was in good hands with him.

Opal took a sip of her tea. "You're a kind girl, Gloria. How are things now? Leon told everyone to keep an eye out for you."

Gloria awkwardly laughed and sat down across the ex Gymleader. Bede looked at her with a raised eyebrow, confused about what his mentor was talking about.

"Leon did, huh... I'm doing good, actually! There's nothing to worry about!" She said as cheerful as always.

But Opal could see through it. "Come now, child. You can rely on all of us. You've done so much for everyone already. We're happy that we can do something to return the favour, you know."

Gloria let out a soft chuckle. "We?" She asked her with a smile.

Opal nodded. "All the gymleaders!"

Bede shrugged. "I don't know what's going on?"

Opal shared a look with Gloria before looking at Bede. "Oh my, I forgot to tell you~" she awkwardly laughed at her pupil.

Gloria awkwardly averted her gaze. She was ashamed of the situation. The strongest pokémon trainer in Galar; threatened by an unknown thread. It made her feel weak and vulnerable. She didn't want anyone to look down on her like that. Gloria stood up, wanting to explain the situation herself.