Chapter 2.1

Surrounded by darkness, with a high-pitched ringing in her ears, Alia struggled to move her body. She felt something sharp digging into her lower back. She knew she had to turn her body to the side, but no matter how much brain power she used trying to visualise it, her body did not respond.

An hour or so later, Alias eyes shot open, only to be blinded by the white sun above her. She shut her eyes tightly as a sharp pain from between her two eyes spread to the back of her head.

She slowly sat up and opened her eyes, her sight had not fully returned to her, but she could make out the bright green of the trees in front of her, she then noticed the sand she had been unknowingly gripping in her fisted hands. Where was she?

She tried to recall some memory...any memory, but there was nothing. As she tried to stand, a sharp pain shot up her left leg causing her to wince. Careful not to put pressure on her left leg, she turned around to meet a horrifying sight. Blood...bodies...fire. She slowly stumbled towards the scene. A plane on fire... a plane, she remembered she was on a plane. But, it didn't make sense, her headache was getting worse and she was finding it hard to focus. Images flashed across her mind as her memories returned to her, she was on her way to Australia...the storm...the plane tore apart, but she was alive, she thought in realisation. Where was she? She looked at the burning plane she had been sat in only hours ago. It had dug into the beach at an angle. She remembered the tail end had broken apart. Looking at the plane, it had no front end either; it must've also torn apart she thought.

Suddenly she felt her foot hit something hard as she fell forward, her face in the sand. She looked back to a blonde boy, rocking back and forth with his knees clenched to his chest. Collin?

She got up once more and continued limping ahead. She was blocked by a tall dark-haired girl - Amy. Alia stared at her blankly. Her shirt was stained with so much blood you might mistake it to be the actual colour of her shirt. She looked up to her face, covered with dirt and fear, she was shouting at her?

She looked to Amy's mouth and only then realised the ringing, she couldn't hear. What was happening? Amy walked away and Alia tried making sense of what had just happened. She looked at the people around her, they were scattered across the beach, some were crying and screaming and some were collecting things from the sand. Alia stood unsteadily, her vision became blurry and she decided to sit down. She breathed deep breathes, as her eyes wandered about the scene and landed on the plane again; the fire was bigger than before, she looked closely and noticed people tossing sand on it. Deciding she had to help, Alia got up and walked towards them.

She recognised Adam, from her maths class, imitating him she cupped her hands and dug in to the hot sand, before throwing the contents onto the fire, which was making the skin on her face feel as though it was melting. She repeated the process over and over again. They were joined by two boys, who looked exactly the same, they were carrying a rectangular green suitcase between them, it was filled with water which they poured over the scorching hot fire. It worked, the fire, now smaller, died out after a few more handfuls of sand smothered it.

As she looked around, her eyes caught sight of familiar strawberry blonde hair. Ellie!

She quickly limped forwards, towards the figure which was leaning over another unmoving one lying on the floor. ''Ellie!'' she exclaimed as she neared her, only to realise it wasn't Ellie, it was Nina. ''Have you seen Ellie?'' she shouted at Nina, without realising the volume at which she spoke. Nina's distraught face shook, before she returned to stroking the head of the body beside her.

Are they all dead? What if they're dead?