Season One | Episode Five pt. two

"Sparks Fly Out"

"I love you."

Fuck.

"I love you."

What the fuck.

"I love you."

The feeling of anxiety took over me. I couldn't breathe.

I couldn't believe Hoyt could say that. So easily. So... soon. It was too soon. Pulling over on the side of the road, next to a sign towards Shreveport. 

Opening my truck door I jumped out. I found myself keeling over and throwing up. I couldn't fathom the thought that Hoyt was in love with me. It's impossible.

Unless...

Memories of him being sweet towards me, complimenting me. Sure, it was normal. But there were times where... he went out of his way to do so. The good morning texts weren't just a sign of close friendship kind of affection.

"Oh my god." I took a deep breath in.

Leaning against my truck, I just listened to the sound of the crickets. My truck tire now smelt like Captain Morgan's spiced rum.

My phone rang.

Jason was calling.

"Yup." I said while grimacing in pain. He laughed loudly, "Hey, we're all down at the bar. Surprised you ain't here."

Throwing my head back I hit my truck bed. "Yeah, I've already started the party by myself, Jason, whatchu want?"

He was quiet for a moment. Nothing but the sound of people dancing in the background.

"I know it was so long ago, Brooke, but I just want you to know I am... sorry. You deserved better than that." I laughed, "Yeah. Yeah, I did. But it's all old news, and I've already gotten over it. I mean, I did stay with you even after you graduated. So, that's on me."

I heard Hoyt's voice over the phone, "Another pint?"

And I was confused. "Hoyt's there?" I asked. He said he was going to bring his mom home. "Yeah, he decided to come out cause he needed to relax. We're trying to get him laid since he's down and out."

"Ugh, I feel terrible." Jason was confused, now. "Why? Oh, hold on, wait a minute. What happened between you guys?"

He whispered the last bit right into the phone.

"... He said he loved me, Jason. And I just think... It's too fast for me. And then I realized, the reason why he said it so quick was that he's been in love with me for a while." I explained.

Jason laughed. "You really didn't know this? I mean, he's been in love with you since middle school. Why'd you think he and I hit so many rough patches in high school, he hated that you were with me."

Wow, I'm slow.

"Yeah, well, I'm gonna get going, Jas. Thanks so much for the talk." I said sarcastically. He must have thought I was being serious cause says, "You're welcome."

What a dick.

~~~

earlier this afternoon

~~~

(Eric's P.o.V)

My feet were cold. And wet. I was standing in snow. Opening my eyes, I was outside. In the sun. I hadn't had a dream like this in a while.

I was in what looked like a field, boulders and tree surrounding the opening.

This place wasn't familiar. I had never seen it before. Looking around, I saw someone in the distance. I took a step forward and the figure, only to grimace at a cold sensation. How could I feel the cold anyways?

"Who are you?" I called out.

The figure said nothing. Did nothing. I moved closer. I was determined to see this person.

"Who are you." I demanded. I wanted to threaten them, but something in me kept me from doing it. 

Something in me didn't even want to harm them. I couldn't even imagine it. I could hear their breathing. It was heavy, and trembling. As if they were scared.

"Eric?" A weak, broken voice called. Their head turned first as they faced me.

My mouth opened at the sight of her. It was the woman who came by the bar the night of the raid. She reached out to me, and this foreign feeling within me caused me to reach back to her.

As she took a step forward. And a crack sounded. I watched her plunge into the freezing cold water.

I took off after her without another thought.

Under water I saw nothing. I looked back to the opening to the surface only to watch it seal up. And then it went dark.

Banging on the surface there was no budged. In fact, it didn't even feel like ice. It was rock.

Being a vampire, I thought I would be fine. But after a few moments of no breath, I felt a sensation of what I imagined suffocation.

I made the mistake of opening my mouth and water came in. I paused from my banging on whatever was above me.

And felt my body go limp for a moment. Slowly, my body began to descend into the darkness.

A muffled voice sounded through the ripples of water. My name was being called. I looked around to find a blue light luminating above me.

I could hardly see what it was. All I knew, was that I had to swim towards it.

The closer I got, the clearer the voice was. It was Brooke's. And she's swimming towards me. She looked different. Her hair longer. Freckles adorning her face.

Her hands reached towards me grasping onto my face. Our lips touched. I felt her tongue force my mouth open, and air flooded into my lungs. It was like fresh air, even.

She was literally a breath of fresh air.

Pulling back, a big smile of her face. Her hair floating around her. She waved to follow after her. So I did.

Just knowing she was with me, I felt okay. No more panicking. No more pain. No more fear of being alone.

~~~