thirty-one ─ six months.

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE, SIX MONTHS.

☾ ☽

            MARA WOKE TO THE SOUND of a door closing a little too loudly the next morning. She snapped awake at the near-slamming of the door and sat up, heart racing as dizziness and light nausea overcame her. What little sunlight there was outside was coming in through the oversized window to her left, only making her state of disorientation worse. That was why it took her a few moments to notice Jonathan standing by the door, a tray in his hands that had a pair of plates and glasses on it. He was wincing, eyes screwed shut.

            "What are you doing?"

            "I...thought I would surprise you with breakfast in bed since we forgot about dinner last night, tried to close the door with my foot," Jonathan answered her breathless question regretfully as he turned to her. Still, a smile took over her face. "I didn't mean to wake you like that."

            Mara's smile widened as he came to the bed with the tray and carefully set it down in front of her so nothing spilled. "Breakfast in bed? You're so sweet. Thank you."

            Jonathan settled into the bed next to her and briefly leaned down to press a short kiss on her shoulder next to the strap of her nightgown. As she grabbed one of the glasses, he reached for one of the breakfast plates and asked, "What is on your agenda for today? I want to know if I'll actually be able to have dinner with you tonight."

            "Mm, I have to finish cataloging the steles at the museum," she answered with a shake of her head. She set the glass down, sparing a glance to him. "I should be done by Friday, but I could be late again. Sorry, dear. I'll try my best."

            "Well, in that case, mind if I come by and keep you company?"

            She looked at him. "I love you."

            "Is that a yes, I can come by?"

            "At lunch," she told him, quietly laughing. "I want to get those steles cataloged as quickly and as accurately as possible so I don't need any of your distractions, and you," she grabbed his chin and shook his head, amusement in her eyes and voice as she recalled prior distractions of his throughout their relationship, "are so very good at them."

            He just smiled at her and said, "I adore you." She pulled his face toward her and kissed him, quick and chaste, and turned back to the breakfast in front of her. "So things are good at the museum despite everything?"

            "Good enough. But I'll be happy when Evy comes back and we can go back to Cairo."

            Jonathan hit his shoulder against hers. "But you have to admit, having a house to ourselves this week has been very fun."