chapter 4

A world painted in white. A serene color that filled her heart with wonder, her [eye color] irises watched the winter wonderland surround her in a soft blanket of cold snow, engulfing her into a silent, almost lost state. It had been nearly ten years since she had her first, and last visit to this mountain. With each step she took, a faint voice from the back of her head一a soft, warm voice that belonged to her father, would recede slowly after the road she paved down towards.

"Before you were born, eomma [1] and appa met on this mountain. That afternoon, we were stuck in a cave where eomma told appa a story that started like this..."

Her hand grazed against the crevasse of a corroding boulder, as she could remember the small memory from those years ago:

"Once a long, long time ago, a gongjunim [2] laid her last days on this mountain. She protected the honor of her tribe with her death, and left the remains of her tribes treasure, until the day someone honorable deserved to dig them from the ground up, once more."

He took a breath.

"Then, a day among lost times after her passing, a young woman was found. None knew who she was, and she dare not even mention as to where she came from."

"Yet, they said it was as though she was like the gongjunim in the far history of those scriptures herself."

"It was not wealth she craved, or a name she wished to paint against the walls of history. For all she gave, she gave with heart when the skies were dark. The knowledge she beheld, was unmatched like no other, as though, she held an eye that could see the souls of even the most untamed... She was the epitome of a sword's justice; what she held in one hand was the tranquility of the wind, and in the other, the storm."

He stopped, reaching a hand and caressing her hair in the palm of his hand affectionately.

"But, I only have one gongjunim in my heart however. Can you guess who that is?"

"Is it me, appa?"

"That's my little girl!" He laughed. "That story meant a lot to me and eomma... You see, someday, appa will grow old, and one day, appa won't be here anymore, so [name]... When appa is gone, grow strong to be like that woman, okay?" His voice shifted slowly. "You won't understand until you're bigger, but someday, when the time is right, you will understand as to why we named you [name]."

All of this time, she never truly understood it一never understood why he had told her such words.

Such a moving story with lifeless words.

It was her fate, but a fateful name with no truth.

A buzzing noise echoed in her ears. She reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone, clicking the screen open.

"They still sell those models? I thought they stopped manufacturing them since visors came out."

"Well, it's more convenient than having to constantly put on and open your visor every time."

It was a message from her mother.

Leon curiously glanced over her shoulder, eyes narrowing downward slightly. "Books on secondary, tertiary and quaternary visionists..? What need would you have to learn about that?"

Undeterred by his nosy nature, [name] casually answered him back, shutting the phone closed back into her pocket.

"I can't say for sure since I have no definitive proof, but there's no crime scheme as grand as his when it comes to visionists. The Vision Specter clearly got taste in the loneliest of people, doesn't he?"