10. I'm the Beta's daughter

"I don't understand anything. Hello?" I say, trying to make sense of Nina's gibberish words over the phone.

Soon a male voice replaces hers and tells me what happened.

Nina is being held in a police station at the Borac City. The city is a few miles from our packland. It's infamous for nightclubs and drugs. She was caught during a drug bust and found to be utterly high.

Fortunately, one of the cops making the arrests realized what she was and which pack she belongs to. I'm assuming he takes bribe from our pack to be our informant when needed. He asked Nina to call someone to pick her up. She called me.

I take my car and leave immediately.

In the station, I realize her condition looks far worse than I'd imagined from her voice. She's completely wasted. The cop helps me bring her into my car. "Tell your friend to be more careful. These parts are not good for girls, even werewolf ones," he warns.

I nod, and give him some cash before driving away. I need to take her to our pack hospital. I don't know what she has injected into her body.

————

"I'm the Beta's daughter. Isn't my word enough?" I shout at the doctor.

She's refusing to take Nina in for treatment without informing the pack council. It's mandatory to report any suspicious activity to the council, and a patient turning up in the hospital fully drugged up screams suspicion.

The problem is, drugs are not tolerated in our pack and are banned. If Nina is reported she'll be deep in trouble.

"Just give me a second," I say to the stubborn doctor and go to a corner and take out my phone.

I think about calling Rick. But I remember his "notice" for me to stay away from Nina. She would probably get in more trouble if I call Rick.

The only other person I could think of calling is Cole. I bring up his contact in my phone. I hope he hasn't changed his number.