Chapter four

Garage/Studio 12:19pm Sunday 1994

Alex Pov

"One, two, three, four!" I chant as I beat my sticks together above my golden locks.

When Luke steps up to the mic, he drops his guitar to his side, wrapping his hands about the microphone pole and pipes out the chorus.

When Reggie goes to shred on his guitar for his solo two of the strings snap. "Jeez" He mumbles. He places his guitar down, waving his hands to signal the rest of us to chill for a sec. "My dang strings broke again."

"Just let me do it." Bobby offers, setting aside his own instrument.

Reg throws his hand up between the two of them, "I've got it! I'm a capable human being Bobby." He grumbles as he accidentally breaks the A chord in his attempt to fix E and B.

"Now you gonna let me?"

Reggis sighs hopelessly, "whatever."

The two make their way over to the sofa, leaving Luke and I with our instruments. "Hey, Luke?

He turns slightly, looking at me over his shoulder. He raises his eyebrows, nodding a little. "Yeah, whats up?" He says nonchalantly.

"Can we uhm, talk real quick. You know, clear the air?"

Luke looks at me questioningly, "Yeah I don't know what you mean man, everything alright." He shrugs, returning his attention back to his journal full of potential song lyrics.

I scoff, "You're just gonna pretend like everything is aces?"

He responds without looking at me, his attention completely glued to his journal. "Look, Im fine, you're fine. It's all fine. So chill."

I'm taken aback by how he is handling this. Just the other night he was crying about not wanting to lose me and now he's just shoving everything that happened last night into a box and taping it shut.

After a few minutes of silence go by I decide to try again, "Lu-"

"And we're ready to rock!" Reggie exclaims excitedly.

Once every one returned to their positions we practiced for the next six and a half hours, exhausting us all out.

"I'm heading out." Bobby says through a hoarse voice, "I'll see you losers at school."

Reggies follows him out, but not without leaving a few words before his departure, "School is slowly stripping away whatever sanity I have left."

I can hear Bobby laughing from outside the garage, "Bold of you to assume you've got much sanity to have stripped away."

I stick my drumsticks into my back pocket, hopping up from my drumming seat and taking a few steps to close whatever distance there was between Luke and I. I shove my hands into my pockets and give him my pleading eyes. "Can we-"

"Im sorry man, but I've gotta get home to help my mom. She's wanting to set up the christmas tree." He explains as he leans down to pick up his backpack, slinging it over his shoulder. "But uhm, hey just call me later tonight, k?"

I nod slightly, "Uh, yeah. Yeah, i'll call you."

Luke gives me a small grin and places a quick peck on my cheek before he heads out.

_________________________

Luke's Living Room 8:07pm Sunday 1994

Luke's Pov

I lock the door behind me, yanking my backpack off my shoulder and onto the floor next to the sofa. I wandered into the kitchen, noticing the twenty dollar bill and posted note next to it.