10: The Job

"Saw most of my action mopping up after Endor, mostly ex-Imperial warlords. They wanted it fast and quiet. They'd send us in on the dropship," Nova found the brunette to be Cara Dune an ex shock trooper for the rebellion. She was completely badass and was telling the group why she was on the run. "No support, just us. Then when the Imps were gone, the politics started. We were peacekeepers, protecting delegates, suppressing riots. Not what I signed up for."

In all honesty, Nova was not paying attention. She was on her second bowl of bone broth and was once again swigging it like it was the first bowl. Nova also took a liking to the cantina's spotchka and was on her third drink. She was normally not so obnoxious with her food but for the past year, the best thing she was able to eat was an overcooked lizard from Arvala-7 and the spotchka was kicking in. 

"How'd you end up here?" The Mandalorian says ignoring the obnoxious girl beside him. The proprietor drops off another bowl for Nova.

"Let's just call it early retirement," Cara takes a delicate sip of her drink. "Look, I knew you were Guild. I figured you had a fob on me. That's why I came to you so hard."

"That's what I figured," The Mandalorian responds. Nova drinks the third bowl of bone broth with another swift chug accidentally burping after finishing. Grogu was giggling at Nova's actions and tried to copy her chugging but ends up spilling his broth on him. Nova snorts and begins to laugh. The Mandalorian looks at her with a confused disappointing look.

"What? I haven't had food in ages!" Nova spurts defending herself between laughs. "This man may look put together but he can't even make a proper sandwich," Nova tells Cara in a joking manner clearly becoming a little tipsy. Cara smiled at the bright girl. 

"Well, this has been a real treat," Cara gets up. "But unless you wanna go another round, one of us is gonna have to move on, and I was here first." Nova frowns at the brunette. She didn't want to leave Sorgan and actually was having fun. "Sorry princess, finders keepers." Cara smiles at Nova then walks out of the cantina.

Grogu burps causing a new fit of laughter from Nova. The Mandalorian also chuckles but not at the child but at the obnoxious girl.

"We should head back to the ship and prepare to leave," The Mandalorian says once Nova could control her laughter. Nova nods solemnly and picks up Grogu to leave.

_-_-_

Nova was playing in the grass with Grogu while the Mandalorian made modifications to his ship. Nova and Grogu's giggles filled the air around the ship. The Mandalorian's chest began to warm at the sound. He couldn't help but hate the happiness that was created from the sound of their laughs. He was never meant to feel this.

Night approached fast on Sorgan filling the sky with twinkling lights. Nova and Grogu lay cuddled together at the base of a tree near the ship. Nova was softly singing a lullaby her mom used to sing her when she was younger.

Mirrorbright, shines the moon, its glow as soft as an emberWhen the moon is mirrorbright, take this time to rememberThose you have loved but are goneThose who kept you so safe and warmThe mirrorbright moon lets you seeThose who have ceased to beMirrorbright shines the moon, as fires die to their embersThose you loved are with you still—The moon will help you remember

Nova's voice was soft and calm alluring Grogu to sleep. Nova delicately strokes the top of the child's head while keeping her gaze on the stars. She wished she could turn back the clock and save her family, her master, her homeworld. She wished she could do more. She glances down at the young Jedi. This was her purpose now. She was going to make sure Grogu never had to endure sadness or death-like she once did. Still humming her mother's lullaby her eyes begin to shut.