A Map Home

If I held the paper up to the light, I could see the faint outline of a map. Taking the paper and folding it carefully into my satchel, I slipped out of the office and down the hallway to my bedroom. I knew here I would have more time to look at the map.

Sitting on the floor, I pulled out the map, carefully unfolding it. My hands shook from excitement. I knew what this map was, if only from my stories. This small piece of paper was my escape into the land of the Fae.

I moved the flashlight under the page, looking as a map of the house I lived in came to life. I scanned the page, looking for anything that would tell me where I should be looking for a passage. The map showed the forest around our house, the old horse stables, and even the old tree where I once swung from.  Then I saw it. In the south wing in the greenhouse, there was a small x placed over so slightly over it.

I let out a shriek of joy and jumped to my feet. I didn't bother putting on shoes as I scrabbled out of the door and down the hall. I knew I had to be quick, for I knew my father would see that I took the map when he returned to his office.

The only sound I could hear in our old house as I rounded the corner towards the greenhouse was the slapping of my bare feet on the cold marble floor. I felt so free. I was finally going to get the answers I deserved, but that's when I saw him, standing in front of the door like a guard of a prison. I came to a screeching halt.

"And what do you think you are doing Olivia," asked my father. His tone was harsh, and the way he looked at me made me want to crawl away and hide. I knew then that I should give up, but my heart said to go for it. So, I lied.

"Oh, father, I was just going to get some flowers and put them in my room." I knew my words were not convincing. I had never once come and got flowers for my room. I compelled him to believe me. I wished with all my being that he would not see through the flimsy lie I had told. I knew he would see through my lie in a moment, but to my surprise, his face broke into a smile.

"Are you trying to take after your mother, you silly girl?" He laughed and shook his head, placing his hand on my shoulder. "Get any of the flowers you want. I will be in my office if you need me."

I watched in amazement as my father slipped around the corner towards his office. I smiled with joy. Not only had I told my first successful lie, but I now had enough time to find the door that had been marked on the map.

I moved through the potted plants quickly. The x had been at the back of the greenhouse, which would not have been hard to reach if my father had maintained the greenhouse better. I stepped over broken pots and piles of dirt. I was thankful when I had reached the back wall.

I searched the whole wall, but I had found nothing that would indicate a door. I was about to give up when I saw the faint golden light coming from an old well.

I moved swiftly over to the well and looked down it. It seemed to be endless because even with the golden light, I could not see the bottom. I knew that this had to be the doorway, but it still scared me. If I jumped down the well and it was not the doorway at all, I would be stuck here until my father came to get me out, but I had to try.

I was standing on the edge of the well I prepared to jump when I heard the sound of footsteps. My father was coming. I knew it was now or never. With my legs shaking and my heartbeat in my ears, I jumped. The wind rushed past me, and I fell and fell and fell.

I must have passed out because when I awoke, I was lying on a bed of leaves. I looked around at my surroundings. I had to have been underground because tree roots and dirt clods hung from the ceiling. It was as I was looking around that I saw her.

At the end of the bed sat a woman with blond hair the was tucked behind her pointed ears. When her blue eye met mine, I knew exactly who it was.

"Mother," I said, crawling to her. She had a smile on her face as she pulled me into a hug. She smelled of sweet grass and lavender. I wanted nothing more than to stay in that hug for the rest of my life, but she pulled out of the hug. Her eyes looked me up and down before finally settling on my face again.

"It is good to have you back again, Olivia." I smiled at her words, but my mind raced. Would I be allowed to stay if I asked her too? I took a deep breath to prepare myself to ask the question when she spoke again.

"The Fae have been waiting for their princess to return." My eyes widened in shock.

"I am a princess." My mother just smiled at my words.

"Of course, you are darling. Did you never wonder why I only stayed but a couple of weeks," she said, brushing my hair out of my eyes.

"I am home," I whispered. My mother smiled at me and nodded her head. I couldn't believe it; I was truly home—home in the land of the Fae.