08

"Baek, wanna join us tomorrow?"

Baekhyun lifted his gaze from his textbook up to Jongdae who was sitting next to him. It was their final class that Friday, and their teacher decided to let them do a self-studying session. He claimed that it was for their own benefit, to teach them to be independent, but everyone knew that he was just lazy to discuss a new lesson.

"Join you where?" Baekhyun asked in a low tone.

"Hyora's house," Jongdae whispered. "Hanna and I are helping her assemble her new wardrobe cabinet since her parents are too busy with work."

Baekhyun pretended to think about his decision. He wasn't that dumb. Just because he and Hyora were back on speaking terms didn't mean he should be a hundred percent comfortable with her again.

"Mm, no, maybe not," he answered.

The next morning, Baekhyun followed the giddy couple after fetching Hanna from her house. Hyora's new apartment wasn't too far away, so they opted to walk.

He let out a frustrated sigh. Yesterday he was so sure he wasn't coming, but now there he was, walking straight to a trap.

They arrived in front of a three-story, red brick building amongst a row of apartments. Shielding his eyes with his hand, Baekhyun looked up and saw a figure of a girl taking clothes off the clothesline at the rooftop.

"Come on, let's go up," Hanna told them before walking in first. They followed her upstairs.

"Damn," Jongdae wheezed as he stepped on the small landing on the third floor. "I can't believe Hyora does this everyday. I'd die if I were her."

"That just means you should exercise more," Hanna commented, stopping in front of the only door and knocking on it. "Hyora, we're here! Open up!"

"You've been here before?" Baekhyun whispered to Jongdae.

"Once," he answered. "Hanna forced me to eat dinner with Hyora's family."

Hanna clicked her tongue, taking her phone out to message Hyora. "Where is she? Doesn't she hear me or something?"

"Step aside," Jongdae said before gripping the doorknob and twisting it. The door opened and he smirked. "See? It's open after all."

"What?" Baekhyun blurted out. "Doesn't she lock the door? What if a burglar suddenly barges in or something?"

"Oh, don't be such a worrywart," Hanna laughed as she stepped in. "She probably left it open on purpose since she's expecting us."

"Yeah, chill out, Baek," Jongdae said, patting him on the arm before following Hanna inside.

Baekhyun shook his head in disbelief. "What friends you are, really."

He stepped inside and took in his surroundings. The space wasn't large, its walls a cream color and the ceiling marked with brown spots due to water stains. Immediately to his left was the kitchenette, its countertops scattered with unopened boxes and the sink filled with unwashed dishes. A small table with four chairs was situated nearby, next to a door which Baekhyun assumed was the bathroom. On the opposite wall were two more white doors, which must be Hyora's and her parents' bedrooms.

The living room was barely a living room, with only a blue, worn-out loveseat and a low wooden coffee table stacked with magazines and a messy collection of drawings. Hyora had decorated the walls with her own paintings and a few framed family photos, as if to attempt to make the place a bit more livable. Then Baekhyun saw it—a heap of clothes seemingly thrown on the couch without care.

But before he could examine it further, the glass door leading to the rooftop deck opened, and in came Nam Hyora holding a hamper of clothes. Her eyes widened when she met Baekhyun's gaze, before they flickered to the loveseat. He followed her gaze.