Chapter 8 - Pregnant Women Drive Safer?

Megan closed her eyes in concentration, trying to develop that emotional link she had made with Steve, trying to follow his emotions to get to where he was right now. His emotions were faint, as if he was trying not to feel right now, "C'mon Steve. C'mon, feel something. Let them out." Megan mumbled under her breath as she drove with one hand, the other presses to her stomach as she began to have severe abdominal cramps.

"C'mon. Steve, please feel something... YES!" Megan zeroed in on the immense waterfall of pain Steve felt right now, she plunged her foot on the accelerator, driving like a mad woman. "Who says pregnant women drive safely?" Megan cackled crazily as she closed her eyes in concentration, trying to keep the connection of Steve's emotions alive long enough to find him. "I'm going to get you to your daddy, don't you worry, Champ." She mumbled to her baby as she drove faster.

***

"Hey, you wanna see something cool? I pulled something from Dad's archives. Felt timely." Steve glanced up to see Tony holding a black presentation box of some sort, 2 black pens sitting in it. "FDR signed the Lend-Lease bill with these in 1941. Provided support to the Allies when they needed it most." Steve smiled slightly, "Some would say it brought our country closer to war." Tony chose to ignore him and continued his seemingly one-man conversation, "See? If not for these, you wouldn't be here. I'm trying to . . . what do you call it? That's an olive branch. Is that what you call it?"

Steve scoffed, looking around to find Pepper and beg her to slap some sense into Tony, "Is Pepper here? I didn't see her. She didn't pick up Meg's call either." Tony pursed his lips as he plopped down on a chair exhaustively in front of Steve, "We're kinda . . . well, not kinda . . ." Steve chuckled, "Pregnant?" Tony's eyes went round as he shook his head adamantly, "No. Definitely not. We're taking a break. It's nobody's fault." Steve sighed, nodding in understanding, "I'm so sorry, Tony. I didn't know."

Tony shrugged, looking out at the monitors outside the glass room, "A few years ago, I almost lost her, so I trashed all my suits. Then, we had to mop up HYDRA . . . and then Ultron. My fault. And then, and then, and then, I never stopped. Because the truth is I don't wanna stop. I don't wanna lose her. I thought maybe the Accords could split the difference." Tony pushed the chair back and stood up, he began to pace nervously around the room, "In her defense, I'm a handful. Yet, Dad was a pain in the ass, but he and Mom always made it work."

Steve smiled a one sided smile as he thought of Howard, "You know, I'm glad Howard got married. I only knew him when he was young and single." Tony shook his head, not helping himself but pour venomous poison into his tone as he spoke, "Oh, really? You two knew each other? He never mentioned that. Maybe only a thousand times. God, I hated you." Steve bit his lip, "I don't mean to make things difficult." Tony nodded, smiling through the pain, "I know, because you're a very polite person."

Steve took a deep breath as he stared up at the monitor, "If I see a situation pointed south . . . I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could." "No you don't." Tony smirked and Steve let out a breathy chuckle, "No, I don't. Sometimes..." Tony cut in, finishing the sentence for Steve, "Sometimes I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth. But I don't wanna see you gone. We need you, Cap. So far, nothing's happened that can't be undone, if you sign. We can make the last 24 hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych-center . . . instead of a Wakandan prison."

Steve looked up at Bucky and considered the option, it was as good an option as he could get, he picked up a pen, rolling it in his hands. "I'm not saying it's impossible, but there would have to be safeguards." Tony nodded, "Sure. Once we put out the PR fire, those documents can be amended. I'd file a motion to have you, Meg and Wanda reinstated . . ." Steve looked up, "Wanda? Meg? What about them?" Tony waved a dismissive hand, "They're fine. They're confined to the compound, currently. Vision's keeping them company." Steve frowned, shaking his head angrily, "Oh God, Tony! Every time. Every time I think you see things the right way . . ."

Tony took a cautious step back, staring at Steve, "What? It's a 100 acres with a lap pool. It's got a screening room. There's worse ways to protect people." Steve bit down hard on his lip, wanting nothing more than to strangle Tony, "Protection? Is that how you see this? This is protection? It's internment, Tony." Tony shrugged slightly, "Wanda isn't a US citizen and Meg is highly dangerous, hence her name Femme Fatale." Steve pursed his lips, "Oh c'mon, Tony." Tony huffed, "And they don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction." "SHE'S JUST A KID." "And Megan?" Tony asked quietly. "She... she's your sister."

Tony could feel his anger boiling as Steve threw that last line in his face, "GIVE ME A BREAK! I'm doing what has to be done . . . to stave off something worse." He saw Steve nod faintly, running his tongue over his teeth, "You keep telling yourself that." Steve put the pen down and looked back up at Tony with regret and pain evident in his features, "Hate to break up the set."

***

"We're in position." Natasha whispered into her comm, Tony came running in, his suit on him as he took a punch at Bucky and he easily threw him over his shoulder, crashing into a glass wall. Natasha came running in, swinging herself on top of Bucky as she sat on his shoulders, squeezing her thighs together. Bucky buckled but grabbed her by her throat and slammed her down on the table, "You could at least recognize me. You have to remember me, Buck." Natasha pleaded with him as she clawed at her throat.

She could've sworn she saw Bucky's eyes soften, he leaned in slightly but then straightened and squeezed a bit harder, leaving her there on the table, trying to catch her breath as she let out strangled coughs. T'Challa ran over to Bucky and he growled at him, throwing him off the side and running away from the small group.