Chapter 40: The Final Prep

They watched the first Teen Beach Movie then Flynn looked down at her phone.

"Oh, shit I missed 26 calls from my dad. I completely forgot he needed me to be home. Well, at least I have a decent excuse this time, not that I can use it," Flynn said to the girls as she stood up.

"What are you gonna say, 'my ex-friend's ex friend turned into a demon, so we had to help her?'" Carrie said, playfully punching Flynn on the arm.

"Yeah. What else would I say?" Flynn said as she grabbed the coffees she had gotten for her dad. "Well, it's cold now. You know, if he just went with iced coffee like us, this wouldn't be a problem."

"We all know he's not an iced coffee drinker," Julie chuckled as she exited out of the movie.

"Well, I'll see you guys when I'm let out of the house again 25 years from now," Flynn joked as she walked towards the door, Carrie following behind. They both walked out the door before Flynn even realized Carrie was behind her.

"Carrie, why are you following me?" Flynn asked, "Miss me too much?" she said with a suggestive smirk.

Carrie felt the blush fill her cheeks, but she quickly tried to shake it off. "You're really not expecting me to stay there alone with her, are you?" Carrie questioned smarmily. Her voice sounded cold, but Flynn knew better.

"Carrie, you have to stay with her. You need someone near you at least to keep yourself safe," said Flynn, crossing her arms because she knew Carrie knew this.

"Okay, but I can't be the only one who's noticed how cold she's being," Carrie remarked.

"Maybe she got it from you."

"What do you mean?"

"Being cold and distant? Just like you were being towards me?"

"I wasn't being cold and distant. That's just me," Carrie retorted. She wasn't going to tell Flynn why she was TRULY upset. She would lose the upper hand.

"No because you have been distant. I tried to talk to you, and you shake me off. I get you're upset right now, but don't call Julie out for pulling the same shit you're pulling," Flynn replied, trying not to raise her voice at the still frazzled Carrie. "The only difference is, you dumped her and never told her why."

"Well, maybe I'm hurt too, okay? Maybe I'm hurt because I don't know why either."

"What does that mean?"

"Nothing. You know what? I'm just gonna go back inside. Okay? Just... go home. Don't worry about it." Carrie shook her head as she walked back into the studio. She was pissed. Pissed that Julie hated her. Pissed that Flynn didn't even know that she hurt her. Pissed that the only person she has leaned on since Julie and Flynn turned out to be faking everything just to get closer to her. Pissed that she didn't know anything about what was going on, and she couldn't piece it together without being more hurt. She couldn't be hurt, though. She couldn't allow herself to feel the pain. She would just replace it with anger. It's what she always did. Any negative emotion she felt was funneled into anger. That way it didn't hurt so deep when everything fell apart. She sped walked back over to the couch and sat down, letting out an exasperated huff.

"Damn why are you all mad now?" Julie asked, slightly chuckling. She looked like an angry child, and it reminded Julie of when they would make music videos and someone else won the rock-paper-scissors for who would be the lead.

"Nothing. Just play the movie." Carrie said with a scowl. Julie didn't feel much like talking to her either, so she obliged, starting Teen Beach 2.

No words were exchanged between the two as they watched the movie. They didn't want to talk to each other, and they didn't really want to be around each other. However, although they'd never admit it, it felt nice to be back together again. It had been a long time since they did this, and it brought back lots of good memories from when they were kids. Memories of when their lives were easier, and they didn't have all the pain and bruises they carried within themselves now. But the silence lessened their levels of warm nostalgia. When they would watch these movies in the past, it was never quiet. They would belt out all the songs, even when Rose and Ray would yell at them to go to sleep at 2AM. They would dance around the room and sing into their hairbrushes to every single song. They even had their own YouTube channel that they posted their performances on, not that they would tell anyone about it. The movie finished as Julie looked down at her phone.