Chapter 82

"I've got to meet Hanna at eight, so I'm heading out. You two behave yourselves while I'm gone," John announced, sending a pointed look towards Sherlock, who was sprawled across the couch with his head in Lydia's lap.

He rolled his eyes, "we've a case to solve, John. Some of us will be working instead of going on futile little dates."

"What Sherlock's trying to say is have fun and he hopes that you and Hanna hit it off," Lydia corrected.

Sherlock frowned, "no, I- ow!" Lydia easily cut him off by pulling his ear, raising her eyebrow at him. Reluctantly, he shifted his gaze back to John and spoke unconvincingly, "yes, I hope that you enjoy yourself tonight, John."

"You're going to need to start getting him treats so you can reward him into good behaviour. Condition him into acting like a normal human."

"Mm, though maybe just condition him into not being an arse all the time. I like that he's not normal."

"You two realise I'm still here, yes? Besides, I would notice if she was attempting to condition me. It is not going to work because I'm not going to fall for it."

Lydia shrugged, "I did get you to fall for me, so I reckon there's still hope."

"Right, well, I'm going to get out of here before the two of you start shoving your tongues down each other's throats," John spoke, grabbing his mobile and slipping it into his pocket. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Unless we're still up on this case when you get back," Lydia smiled, although she was really hoping that that wouldn't happen. It was her day off from rehearsals and she was hoping she could get some much needed sleep. "Bye, John!"

After John had left the flat, Lydia glanced down at her partner, who had closed his eyes, content to be in her lap. She began running her fingers through his curls once again cause his lips to lift towards a smile. He looked so peaceful lying there, it made it hard to believe that this was the same man who would tear apart the flat in search of cigarettes and shoot bullets at the wall when he was bored.

"Stop that," Sherlock commanded, causing Lydia to freeze, wondering what she had done wrong.

"Stop what?"

"Everything, you're distracting me." He opened his eyes and Lydia melted a bit at the sight of their mint green colour, his pupils swollen.

Her gaze dropped down to his soft pink lips, her tongue unconsciously running over her own as she thought of kissing them. This only annoyed Sherlock more for it made that familiar sensation in the pit of his stomach arise again. He was on a case, he needed to focus.

The two remaining mercenaries had been put under surveillance, yet one of the them had still been killed. There was only one left, with increased security, but Sherlock had a feeling that that wouldn't matter. What did matter was how the light of the room now reflected off of Lydia's moistened lips, an invitation for him- No, he had to focus. If only he could figure out when the mystery woman was going to attack, he would be able to catch her in the act, perhaps even save the last man's life.

That's what Sherlock needed to be concentrating on, not the way that Lydia's eyes held such a look of admiration in them that Sherlock could practically feel himself melting into her, able to be easily moulded by her hands.

"Well, I certainly apologise for distracting you, perhaps I should go into the other room so you can stay focused," Lydia spoke, her voice darkened in a way that drove Sherlock insane.

She made an attempt to get off of the couch, forcing Sherlock to sit up so she could free herself. However, Sherlock was not going to let her get away that easy, pulling her back down so that she practically landed in his lap.