Chapter 3 - Looking Back

Safe in her husband arms Christmas night, Sonja Percy took a long while to remember their love story. She had returned from a mission about a year after she left New Orleans to find a box full of items that belonged to her. Tammy had found bits and pieces back at the condo and the office. It had taken her a week to find the time where she could sit down and peruse the items in the box.

Included in the container was a personal note from Tammy and a second one from her former partner Chris LaSalle. His note simply said that if she ever needed a quiet place to retreat to, that his mother and her home would always be a place where Sonja could find peace. Sonja tucked the box into the closet in her office and forgot about it for a couple of months.

"You need to take a break" the staff psychologist told her after the debrief. "It's never easy to bring back a team member in the hold of an aircraft" he stated.

Sonja had replied that she was okay, that she could just take a few days and sleep.

"This is not a suggestion Agent Percy" the doctor retorted. You are ordered to stand down for a minimum of fourteen days. I would suggest that you get out of the District. Maybe you could go to a resort or go visit your family."

Sonja Percy returned home dismayed. Seeing her mother was not at the top of her list. As she went into her office to get on the computer, photos of her team from NCIS caught her eye. "Chris LaSalle, you're a life saver" she thought out loud. She got up to find the box that Tammy had sent to her. Here it is she thought and returned to her desk.

"Mrs. LaSalle? My name is Sonja Percy. I used to work with your son Chris in New Orleans. I don't know how to say this, but Chris invited me down to the farm if I ever needed a place to escape to."

"Of course, you would be welcomed Miss Percy" Mrs. LaSalle responded. "Would you want to stay here at the house or in a motel in town?"

"I do not want to be a burden but after Christopher talked so much about your beautiful farm, I really would like to stay there."

Sonja landed two days later and quickly located the road to the farm thanks to her GPS. She was absolutely floored as she rounded the final turn and could see both the lake to the left and the house further up the road at the top of a large hill.

The car had barely stopped when she was ambushed by two young children. "Are you Miss Sonja? The old girl asked.

"Yes, ma'am I would be her."

"I'm not a ma'am" the little girl replied. "I am Charlotte".

"Well, if your uncle is named Chis LaSalle, then I would be her" she answered with a chuckle.

"Grandma, she is here" the little boy yelled as he ran up the stairs at the front of the house.

Two ladies quickly exited the house.

"Hello Miss Sonja. I am Charlotte LaSalle. This is my daughter and Christopher's sister Lynn. It looks like you have already met BJ and my namesake Charlotte.

"Come in, come in. Lynn will make us some tea. We will get your bag later.

Percy was surprised at how quick the time passed by. Mrs. LaSalle excused herself to go finish lunch. Sonja headed back outside to her rental to collect her luggage.

Lunch consisted of Quiche and the most delicious salad that she had eaten for some time. I picked everything this morning after the dew dried up" Mrs. Lasalle stated. "You are welcomed to go out and pick anything you like. There are always strawberries or raspberries ripening. Just watch out for Claude out there.