Chapter 5: 1950

*Emily's POV*

It had been a few days since I last saw Alison. She was incredibly busy, being a real doctor, but still found time to send me a few flirty text messages here and there. I couldn't stop thinking about how it had felt to have her body pressed against mine... The thought of her lips dancing with mine was keeping me distracted from everything and everyone around me. This became even more apparent when I felt something hit the side of my head and thud to the floor.

"Ow!" I grasped the side of my head and shot my eyes towards the taller woman standing across the room, "Spence, what the hell?!" I said dramatically. It really didn't hurt that bad, but it was her audacity that was grinding my gears. "Isn't my head already fucked up enough? Did you want to add more problems to the growing list?" I rolled my eyes and looked into my lap where my fingers were now playing with each other.

If I was being completely honest, I wasn't even annoyed with Spencer at all. I was mostly nervous about my treatment. I had the second round this morning and was waiting for it to hit me. When I looked back up I saw Spencer's eyes widened in shock at my words. She crossed her arms and eyed me knowingly.

"Emily, it's going to be okay." She tried to reassure me and I looked at her like she didn't know what she was talking about even though it was her job to. "Okay...what questions do you have? I can see that something is eating at you. Talk to me." She pressed. Spencer was right- something was eating at me. I didn't want to sound silly so I avoided eye contact until she made it not possible by standing directly in front of me. "Fields. Talk."

"Fine." I groaned. "I just don't want to lose my life. I had an amazing time with Ali a few nights ago and she's been hinting at another date." Spencer raised her eyebrows high, not seeing the problem so I continued, "Which I want. I want a thousand more dates with her, but all I can think about is when my hair is going to start falling out and her pushing me up a ramp in a wheelchair because I can't hold myself up anymore."

The taller woman's eyes softened and she walked around the table to sit next to me. We were in a room that was lined with lighted panels to read scans. Normally, these rooms were reserved for brainstorming between doctors. However, since I was a 'doctor', Spencer came up with the idea of having my appointments in this room instead of a normal exam room. She had really dove head first into my fake career. It almost seemed like a fun game to her, which is funny since she was so reluctant at first. When her hand softly squeezed my knee I brought my eyes back to hers.

"First of all," She started and I could tell she was about to try and dismantle every worry I had, "You aren't going to lose your hair. At least not all of it. The chemo we're using is targeting damaged cells, not healthy ones." I nodded my head softly at her words. She had told me this before, but they couldn't guarantee I wouldn't go bald. She seemed to sense my worry. "Even if you do, I will buy you the best looking wig anyone has ever seen." She chuckled at herself, but I didn't see the joke. She looked a bit sad at my current demeanor, so she continued:

"Second of all, the chair was just a precaution." She eyed the wheelchair she had wheeled me down in that sat in the corner. I told her I was fine, but she insisted. "You never know how the body will react, especially at first. It probably was a little bit overboard for today." She confessed. "I just wanted to make sure we had it if we needed it. And that you save all your energy for your thousand more dates." She teased, poking my stomach slightly to make me laugh. I rolled my eyes a little, blushing at the prospect of more dates with the blonde.

Spencer had calmed me down for now, but we both knew that eventually I would most likely need the wheelchair. We had already had the talk about it getting worse before it got any better. I think she could feel me getting stuck in my thoughts again so she tried to pull me out of them: