Chapter 2: Everything is New

*Alison's POV*

Calm down, Ali. I tried to soothe myself. I could feel my teeth almost chewing a hole through my lip. Moisture made itself apparent by weighing the palms of my hands down so I wiped them quickly on my dark blue scrub bottoms. The motion was actually quite calming so I continued to bring my hands up to my upper thighs and run them back down to my knees, gently squeezing along the way. I matched my breathing with my strokes and realized how incredibly fast I was breathing when the scratchy material of my scrubs started to rub my hands raw. God, why am I so nervous?

My right leg bounced up and down as I checked the time on the large clock above the hospital cafeteria doors. As I watched the seconds slowly tick by my mind wandered back to my conversation with Dr. Hastings...

*Flashback to earlier that day*

"Hi, Dr. Hastings. How can I help you?" I watched her eyes give me a once over. Normally, I would have been flattered, but I sensed a little disdain through her squinted gaze. My usual confidence faltered through her unwavering intensity. I straightened up my white coat before clearing my throat. What on earth is wrong with me?

"Hi, Alison." She seemed to snap out of some train of thought as her usual 'Hastings' smile took over her slim face. Her hands found her way to her long brown locks as she put them up into a ponytail. When I saw her fish her scrub cap out of her pocket I realized she was about to go into surgery. "I heard you met Dr. Fields this morning?"

I felt a blush creep up onto my cheeks. I hope this shade of red matched my blue eyes because I could tell the burning in my cheeks was not going away anytime soon. Emily was talking about me? Already? Only good things I hope...I felt a nervousness wash over me and I saw Spencer's face soften. She brought her hand to my elbow to give it a soft squeeze, I assume to break me out of my train of thought. As her hand fell back to her side she let out a soft chuckle.

"She couldn't stop talking about you. I'm not sure what was in the coffee you two had this morning, but I practically had to will her to get through our consultation this morning." I smiled at the thought of Emily gushing about me. I wonder if she blushed as hard as I am right now... Then it hit me.

"Wait...I thought I saw her after your consultation? Is she here for more than one patient?" I inquired, hopeful that I would get to run into the dark-haired beauty again. I saw Spencer's eyes widen and it seemed as if words got caught in her throat. While it was uncharacteristic for Spencer I couldn't give it much thought since my brain was purely invaded by when I would be able to see Emily next.

"You did." She blurted out after a moment of silence. "I mean...sort of in the middle of it... There was an accident." Her words rushed out and left no room for further inquiry. My eyebrows furrowed for a moment before my train of thought was interrupted. "She's still here. We should...have lunch!"

My entire face lit up at the prospect of getting to know more about this elusive doctor. I smiled widely and responded: "I'd love that. I have rounds and then I'm going to assist Dr. Montgomery while she takes the lead on one of our cases but I should be free around one o'clock. Does that work for you...and Dr. Fields?" I felt my cheeks burning again and stuffed my hands into my coat pockets. Could I be any more awkward? I am a grown woman acting like I'm in middle school over a girl.

Spencer seemed to notice, but she didn't give me a hard time. She just smiled and scrolled through what I assumed was her work calendar on her phone. After a few taps, she looked back up at me.

"One o'clock works perfectly. I'll just text Dr. Fields to let her know I made us lunch plans. I have a surgery I'll have to prep for at 2:30 so I can't go far. Does the cafeteria sound okay?" She looked at me a little apologetically. Little does she know I'd probably eat in a broom closet if it meant I got the chance to get to know more about Emily. I waved my hand to dismiss her apologetic attitude.