9

They/them
(Changed a few lyrics to match the story)

°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Ellie stayed up most nights while their baby slept peacefully in his crib down the hall. She envied the little guy, he could fall asleep so easily without worry and wake up happier than the day before. Everything's so easy when you're a baby.

But as an adult, especially in this world, it's the hardest thing ever. Ellie had many responsibilities, she didn't want to admit but her son just added more stress. Don't get it wrong, she loves the kid to the moon and back but taking care of another human being who is basically useless while trying to fold clothes is kind of hard.

The familiar tingling of creativity flows through Ellie causing her to sit up on the bed and flip on the lamp light. She had to write down these words before she forgot them, it always bothered the woman if she didn't.

Ellie opened up to a new page, the inspiration to write a new song had been lost for a long time. It was mostly about revenge for Joel and Jesse and the constant care with attention for baby potato.

"I never wanted to be, anyone but yourself. I never wanted you to sit, untouched on the shelf. I never wanted you lose your heart when you fell," Ellie mumbled the lyrics, mentally hearing her guitar play a matching tune while repeating the words again,

"Oh my love, your heart's a soft skin treasure." She softly sighed, seeing their face flash through her mind causing a painful ping in her chest. "Oh my love, the ocean depths can't my measure my love for you." What if they never asked her out that night? Would she be with Dina or would she have stayed leaning against the counter watching everyone prance around to the bands song?

"I always wanted you to know, how much I care for you. I always wanted you to know, that I'd do anything for you. I want you know, that I'll care for him too..." Ellie remembers that night like it happened yesterday. The fairy lights hanging above everyone but it somehow only shined the brightest on (Y,n) making their skin glow in the artificial light and their eyes sparkle with joy.

"Oh my love, your heart's a soft skin treasure. Oh my love, the ocean depths can't measure my love you." She remembered how her heart almost stopped when (Y,n) hands wrapped around her waist, bring her to the middle of the floor knowing others would see. They had a reputation to keep up, one filled with being a lone wolf, and the other out going, ready to help anyone, so it was quite surprising to see the well known Millers girl and the excited puppy together.

"Oh my love I promise I will keep him safe. My love I promise to protect him while you are away." Ellie thought she was destined to be alone, almost everyone around her either died or betrayed her in some way but somehow (Y,n) found their way into her life and stuck by her side through every decision she's made.

"I never wanted you to be, anyone but yourself. I never you to sit, untouched on the shelf. I never wanted you to lose, your heart when you... Fell." The cry of her son made Ellie shut her journal and toss it on the bed, rushing the the crib that sat just a few inches away. She picked up his chubby little body and held JJ close to her chest, swaying side to side to calm him down.

"Shhh, it's okay. Mama's got you, buddy." Ellie sat down in the rocking chair, sitting her son on her lap as she did her to comfort him. It was like he could tell when Ellie was sad, JJ would always begin crying or make noises to catch her attention.

"You miss them too, huh?" Ellie could tell he was looking for something or someone, his head swung around probably expected for his other parent to show.

But it'd never happen.

"I promise you... I won't let our son forget who you are, (Y,n)." JJ's head snapped up to look at her at the name she said almost breaking the freckled woman's heart.

"I'll make sure he knows what you like and hated, tell him stories of when we first met. Teach him to play your favorite songs," Ellie lovingly watched him play with her larger hands, she saw so much of them in him. "He'll never forget your face.. . I'll make sure that."