~Chapter Five~

Alfie felt awkward.

Lyra and Tonks were walking up ahead as they strolled through Diagon Alley (he thinks that's the name of it anyway). It was weird to see his sister talking so casually to someone she'd only just met but he assumed it was their magical auras complimenting one another.

That left him walking side by side with his elder sister, hands in his pockets awkwardly, and while he was grateful for her taking time to explain more than Dumbledore had, he was still unsure about the whole ... situation.

"Seems like Dora is keen to get you two your wands first, it's quite the experience mind you it did take Ted and Dora about three tries each until Ollivander found them the suitable wand"

Ah, so they were going to converse. Great.

"And how many tries did it take you, may I ask?" He enquired.

Andromeda smiled brightly this time.

"Oh only about seventeen, I'm fairly sure there was actual steam protruding from my father's ears by the time we'd left the shop ... and everyone assumes my elder sister was the difficult child" She chuckled, muttering the latter part to herself. 

And to her great surprise, a small smile graced her brother's face.

"I think Lyra would give you a run for your money" He said, chuckling lightly as well.

The two made small talk before looking up just in time to see Tonks virtually dragging her aunt (I am not getting used to that any time soon, he thought) into a faded and withered looking shop. He could barely read the sign but eventually made it out.

This should be interesting.

"Very peculiar this is, very peculiar indeed" Ollivander mumbled to himself.

Huffing, Lyra watched as the wand maker scrambled back to the shelves to pick another wand for her. She wasn't annoyed that he had seemingly forgotten which wand was made with her in mind but she didn't want to be here all day as fascinating as the ideas of wands were.

He came back, walking slower than he had previously and with a small smile gracing his lips. The slender box he held in his hands was a burgandy colour and as he got nearer, Ollivander lifted the lift of the box and offered it to her.

The wand itself was beautiful. Eye catching but not overly extravagant, it was a deep red and seemingly the perfect size. There were intricate swirls running along the handle of the wooden wand.

As if it was second nature, she tenderly reached out to grasp the wand in question and with shaky hands picked it up like it was made of glass and would break at any moment.

Merlin this feels fucking amazing.

A bright white light shot out of the tip of the wand and dissolved into wind that blew Lyra's long hair back like she was running in the wand.

God, every part of her felt alive. She could feel the magic coursing through her veins and her energy levels spiked. Looking around to Alfie, who was staring at her in awe, she noticed the picture she had set on fire only five minutes ago was now all brand new as if the incident never happened.

"Did I fix that?" This time her gaze was directed at Ollivander as she asked the question.

He nodded, stuffing his hands in his trouser pockets, looking rather chuffed with himself.

"Yes you did, and it's no suprise with a wand like that my dear. Seven inches long, made from the rarest of woods used - Cherry wood - and with a Phoenix feather core, which is a very spectacular indeed"