009

THIRD PERSON

"Let's talk."

Jaiden had no choice but to take a seat in front of his cousin. Dahil sa binunyag nito, he knew he needed to listen. After all, siya ang may alam.

"Why were you there?" agarang tanong ni Jaiden sa pinsan.

Cyrus pursed his lips again. "Mawawala ang thrill kapag sinabi ko kaagad. Don't you want to beat around the bush for a moment?"

Jaiden closed his eyes from frustration. His cousin was fond of idiomatic expressions, if it still wasn't obvious. He always plays with a touch of the dramatic. Masyado siyang maraming pasikot-sikot.

"How's your mom, by the way? I heard na hindi pa rin siya umuuwi sa inyo, right?" Cyrus spoke again.

"And why is that your concern?" kunot-noong tanong ni Jaiden.

Cyrus licked his lower lip. "Let's say... I've always kept an eye on Tita. She's very mysterious, don't you think?"

"Where is this even coming from?" inis nang tanong ni Jaiden. "I doubt you called me here for a literal chat. Hindi ba puwedeng sabihin mo na lang kung anong gusto mong sabihin?"

His cousin chuckled, na mas lalong kina-irita ni Jaiden. He hates it whenever Cyrus does this. Iyong umiiwas pa sa punto. His words always led Jaiden to a wild goose chase. Complicated.

"I admire you for not punching me in the face right now," Cyrus teased more. "Sige na nga. I'll make this easier for you."

That had Jaiden on the literal edge of his seat. Kaunti na lang ay aalis na talaga siya roon kapag hindi pa nagsalita ang pinsan niya. He was waiting for him to drop the bomb already, but all he did was suspense.

"Your mom..." Cyrus trailed off, anger evident on his face. Umiigting ang panga nito at mukhang ngpipigil ng galit. "...isn't what she seems to be."

Jaiden was stunned for a moment. Napataas kaagad ang kaniyang kilay sa sinabi ng pinsan. He liked leaving people hanging with his words, and that's exactly what he did to Jaiden. Sa sinabi niyang 'yon ay mas lalo siyang napa-isip.

"What are you trying to say?" Jaiden urged.

"Did you ever know how my mom died? No?" Cyrus asked as the emotions on his face changed. He was now smiling again. "Do you want me to tell you about it?"

Jaiden heaved a long, deep sigh. He has had enough of the charade already. Sa isip niya'y niloloko at pinaglalaruan na lang siya ng pinsan. He shouldn't fall into his trap.

"I'm going. Call me when you're done with your cliffhangers." he seriously remarked before standing up.

Umalis si Jaiden mula sa pagkaka-upo. He turned his back from the table, ready to leave. But before he could take another step, his cousin spoke again, making him freeze on the spot.

"Your mother... is a killer."

Those words rang on Jaiden's ears. His breathing became unsteady as his grip on his phone tightened. Agad siyang humarap sa pinsan niya at walang sabi-sabing kinuwelyuhan ito habang naka-upo.

"One more word about my mother and I will not hesitate punching you in the face." Jaiden slowly and shakily enunciated, his hands firmly gripping on his cousin's collar.

Imbis na matakot ay natawa pa si Cyrus. He patted Jaiden's back and leaned closer to whisper something in his ear.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. Eyes are watching." bulong nito, motioning to the people around them who were now staring.