Chapter 11: Final Preparations

Pagonn Elshires POV:

The following days felt like hell as we capture shipyard after shipyard. It's hard, but we push through.

We are no longer on the defense or using hit-an-run tactics, we are bringing the fight to the republic. And it feels great! My body is exhausted but my spirit is unbroken.

I feel stronger every day with the hope that the war will soon end. That peace and order will finally be restored to the galaxy.

That me and Rella can live in peace.

In the last few days we finally had some time for ourselves. All republic controlled shipyards are under our control and we can relax before going back out again.

Rella and I are cuddling in my bed. "Do you think we are finally going to win?" I ask her.

She hums. "Hmm. Maybe. I'm usually not an optimist but it seem the tables have turned. Our chances have definitly increased."

I play with her hair, lost in thoughts. "You know, as much as I love to see the end of war, suffering and hate... I also dread  it."

Rella looks at me in surprise. "But... why? What are you afraid of?"

"I'm afraid that our Squadron is going to be dismantled. That I won't see my friends again..." I look her deep into the eyes. "... That I won't see you again."

She smiles and give me a reassuring kiss. "Don't worry. I'm not going anywhere."

"I thought you wanted to follow your parents footsteps."

She nods. "Of course. But I still enjoy flying. Also... I have another good reason to stay."

She gives me another passionate kiss and we make out for a few minutes before the door suddenly opens without warning and Grey steps in and sees us, entangled on the bed.

We're screwed.

"What's going on in here?" he asks in a stern voice.

We immediatly get up and salute him, standing at attention. "Captain Grey." We both say in unison.

"I asked what's going on here." he repeats, not sounding more angry.

"I... Sir, we were just...."

"We are a couple, Sir." I interrupt her. Rella stares at me in shock, but I don't care. Grey is a friend and I want to be honest to him. 

Grey steps closer to me and raises and eyebrow. "You love her?"

I gulp, but nod. "Yes, Sir. With all my heart."

He looks at me for a while before suddenly turning to Rella. "And you, Sol? Do you love him?"

She doesn't hesitate. "Yes, Captain. I love him too."

He takes a step back from us. "And how long has this been going on?"

"About two weeks, Sir." I answer truthfully.

He looks at us both for a while and then, suddenly, he gives us a friendly smile. "I'm happy for you two."

Rella and me share a confused look before "You're... not mad?" I ask.

"Oh please. I already had my suspicion. The way you acted differently, gave each other these strange looks." He rolls his eyes. "I'm a married man, I notice such things."

We relax and catch our breath. "Please... never scare us like that ever again." I say.

"Sir... could we keep this between us three?" Rella ask. "I don't think our superiors would approve. Not to mention the rumours."