Quarantine

"I have it," my wife said three days after I've arrived at my father's home.

"What do you have?" I asked, fearing her answer.

"I'm infected..." She said.

And we remained silent for long minutes on the phone. She was sobbing. My hands were trembling and I just couldn't think clearly.

"What now?" I finally asked.

"I don't really know. They'll probably quarantine us. I'm not the only one. There are dozens of other doctors and nurses that are also sick. Things are getting pretty bad here."

"Oh my God..." I broke down and started to cry. "You should have come with me when you had the chance... Oh my God!"

"I was probably infected already. You have to see a doctor and do a blood test. Immediately. They are coming for me. I love you. I'll call again as soon as I can. I love you, never forget this..." And she hung up.

That same afternoon, Manhattan was isolated as she had predicted. The bridges and tunnels were closed; no boats entering or leaving; no trains; no helicopters; no nothing.

Almost one million and a half people were completely cut off from the world. Basically, they were left to die there on their own. On TV, we could see the military helicopters and tanks securing the perimeter.

"This is unbelievable!" The reporter said. "I never thought I would live to see this again. This is even worse than 9/11."

Of course it was. How do you fight a microscopic, invisible and deadly enemy?