Quotes

"In the end, there were only three options left for us; to die, to kill or to hide. Those that perished were the most fortunate, because they were spared from unspeakable horrors." (Sebastián Rivera, Spanish philosopher)

"There was no possible cure. Anyone that could have saved us were some of the first victims. The survivors were the uncultured, the laymen, the ordinary people. The fate of our species is in their hands." (Mikhail Gorochenko, Ukrainian biologist)

"We always knew that it would happen someday, but we could not predict how. However, the real end was much more terrible and quicker than anyone could foresee. It was swift as the blade of a guillotine, and it was over." (Antonia Spoletto, Italian professor)

"We lost relatives, friends or coworkers. No one was left untouched. The mark of the death was all over the places." (Linda Richardson, Canadian violinist)

"When I remember those days, I can barely restrain the tears. I've never seem so much pain and suffering, and I hope to never see it again. There is a limit of how much misery one can handle in a lifetime, and I'm well beyond my share of it." (Ratree Pradchaphet, Thai author)

"The faith in God was that kept us sane. It was our last trace of morality." (George Williams, US preacher)

"I used to wake up at night really frightened. I was sure that I was having a nightmare, but as soon as I looked out of the window I had to face the harshest reality. I still want to believe that it's a nightmare and I'll wake up anytime soon to find my wife on the bed by my side and the kids sleeping on the bedroom next door. It must be a nightmare, a very long nightmare!" (Pablo Catalán, Chilean actor)

"This is a very sad world." (Pepin Bonheur, French comedian)

"Our history is very tragic, but we sensed that we were enduring the most terrible chapter ever. We had no parameters to compare it with." (Chagwand Marimbe, Zimbabwean historian)

"I was the only one that survived in my whole town. I felt so lonely out there." (Amanda Silva, Brazilian student)

"It came as demon with red eyes

Touching us with its deadly fingers

Farewell, my dear, afar off your soul flies" (Ingvar Bergström, Swedish poet)