The Company Arrives

My P.O.V.

One year... One year of simple living, the true comforts of home, and (quote) nothing unexpected ever happened. Me, Kate, and Brie became part of Bilbo's family. He was like the father everyone in our world wishes they had... When our real adventure began, me and the others were in the market looking for a special one year anniversary dinner. Since half of the kind of food that would be appropriate for those kind of things didn't exsist, we had to make due with what would be considered 'fancy' in Middle-Earth. Smoke fish and cake was our best bet. As we were getting all the ingredients, Brie saw someone all to familiar to the three of us; Gandalf the Gray! In a fangirling panic, she quickly but casually made her way back to me and motioned towards Gandalf's current position. Seeing him and getting why Brie was getting all frazzled, I quickly grabbed Kate and the three of us made our way back to Bag End.

"OK, what was that all about?" Kate asked.

I replied, "Brie saw Gandalf!"

With that, we squealed in a fangirling frenzy!

"Oh God this is awesome!!! But, the new question is... What is he doing here?" Brie said.

I thought for a moment and said, "Maybe... He's here to recruit Bilbo for the Company!?"

"GOOD GRACIOUS!!! IS THAT TODAY!!!???" The two exclaimed.

I looked at my basket and said, "In that case, we need more food!"

"And more money... Let's get back to Bag End first, get some more money, then head back to the market." Kate proposed.

Nodding in agreement, we made our way back to Bag End.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bilbo's P. O. V.

Chores were finished, gardening was done, and what that meant for me was that I had more time to relax. I was still lucky that the three girls decided to stay. A lot of the things that I did around the house I couldn't have done on my own. So I decided to sit outside and smoke from my pipe relaxing until the girls returned home. But then I was interrupted by a whiff of smoke from my pipe that somehow ran to my face. I looked to see who was in front of me and there was a man with a long gray beard, long gray robes, a pointy gray hat, and an odd looking staff. I looked at him for a moment. Then I saw the girls walk up to the house and they stopped in their tracks.

"Good morning." I greeted the stranger.

He cocked his head, "What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"All of them at once I suppose..." I replied.

He looked slightly disapprovingly at me. I was quite confused and bewildered.

I then asked, "Can I help you?"

"That remains to be seen. I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure." He replied with a smile.

I looked at him for a moment, perplexed...

I finally replied, "An adventure? Now, I don't imagine anyone west of Bree would have much interest in adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things. Make you late for dinner, hm, mm"

I got up and checked my mailbox, grabbing some mail and sorting through it, chuckling to myself. I became quite uncomfortable because that odd fellow was still standing there. Silently motioning the girls to come with me, we began heading back inside.

"Good morning." I said before turning to the door.

The man retorted, "To think that I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I were selling buttons at the door."