Extra Story: The Wu Family Chess Game

Wu Sanxing looked at the chess game in front of him. His upper body was motionless, but he didn't know how many times his feet had changed positions.

Wu Erbai looked at his brother across from him. When Wu Sanxing smiled at him calmly, Wu Erbai thought he looked a bit funny.

Even though his heart was full of anxiety, he still had to keep his upper body and face still, and try not to reveal any flaws. Third Brother was indeed shrewd, but based on his character, he wouldn't be able to conceal his intense anxiety.

"Don't think about it too much. Just move a piece." Wu Erbai said. "If I don't checkmate in seven turns, then you're the winner."

"No. It's not glorious if I win like this. I'm not someone who can't afford to lose. Moreover, I just might end up winning in the end." Wu Sanxing said, "I've set a trap, but you haven't found it yet."

"How are you supposed to set up a trap with two soldiers and one minister? I think your trap is too lousy." Wu Erbai looked at the dozen pawns he had captured. The chess pieces were made out of Shoushan stone, which Grandpa Nine [1] had given to their father as a birthday present.

It was said that they had been carved by a master in Suzhou, and the words on them were also written by a famous artist, which made them very precious. But they had developed a patina [2] because they hadn't been used much in three years.

"Don't smash the chessboard if you lose." He felt a little nervous when he saw the patina. If his younger brother broke it, then things wouldn't end well for him, either. Their father would definitely order his dogs to bite them.

Speaking of those dogs, they were all precious in his father's eyes. It was like he didn't even care for his biological sons. Does he think the three of us are beneath them?

Oh, no. I got distracted.

Wu Erbai took a deep breath. His brother was still sitting in front of him motionless, staring intently at the chessboard with brows furrowed so deep that they were almost tangled. It appeared he hadn't noticed that Wu Erbai's mind had wandered just now.

This was why he didn't like to play chess with his younger brother. Wu Sanxing was stubborn and obstinate, and when he realized he was about to lose, he often took more than ten minutes to make a move. He would stall until it was time for dinner, and then say, "Ah, we're running out of time. Let's call it a draw. We'll start a new game after we finish dinner."

But out of the whole family, his younger brother was the only one who could play chess with him. Although his elder brother wasn't bad at it, he liked to defend. Plus, he would immediately admit defeat once he was at a disadvantage, so Wu Erbai couldn't find any pleasure in playing with him.

"How about we call it a draw?" Wu Erbai said, not wanting to waste any more time. He had an appointment with his elder brother to go to the shop and check inventory.

"No!" Wu Sanxing replied. "If you let me win in this situation, it means that I'm the loser."

"Can you be quick about it then?" Wu Erbai asked. "Even a pot of water would boil by the time you make your next move."

Wu Sanxing rolled his eyes at Wu Erbai. "What's the rush? I'm still thinking about setting up the next trap!" With that said, he raised his hand, ready to move a piece. "You're going to be very surprised."

Wu Erbai looked at Wu Sanxing for a moment. He already knew all the possible moves in this game of chess and had anticipated any moves Wu Sanxing might make. He would checkmate in seven turns no matter what happened.