Chapter 28

A/N: Hello my lovelies and happy Tuesday! I hope you all had a fantastic holiday, stayed safe, warm, and enjoyed yourself. c:

This week's chapter is in Abigail's POV only. Royce's will pick up next week.

Question of the week: Who is your favorite villain/antagonist of all time?

I'd probably have to say Darth Vader from Star Wars, Azula from Avatar, and Dabi from MHA. (NO SPOILERS, PLEASE--I'm not caught up)

Who are your favorites? Everyone has a favorite protagonist, but knowing your favorite villain is, I feel, a pretty good indicator of your personality.

Anywho, I hope the rest of your week goes smoothly and I hope you all have a great New Year. Don't forget to vote, comment, follow, and share, and once again, thank you so much for supporting me and my story. I love you guys. Happy reading! (っ◔◡◔)っ

***Trigger warning: violence and overall creepiness follows--please read at your own risk and do what you think is best for YOU. I will sum it up in next week's chapter if you decide to skip.***

Ethan stared at her, frozen in astonishment. Abigail stayed firm.

She held up the matching bracelets to the dimming light and refused to back down, refused to tear her eyes away from his. The bottomless silence that had fallen across the large room crept up her spine and made her heart pound in her chest. Her ears started ringing, slowly at first, but by the time Ethan finally took a breath, finally opened his mouth to speak, it was like a siren wailing.

He tilted his head, studying the bracelets shaking in her hands.

"Where did you get that?"

"I found it, stashed away with your box of secrets behind the wall. Why do you have it?"

Ethan's smirk curled. "What do you mean? I bought it as a backup for the one I gave you. In case you ruined it or lost it like you do so often with your earrings." He lied as quickly as she remembered her excuse from the first time she discovered the box.

She grit her teeth. "Stop lying to me. I know this bracelet wasn't meant for me. It's much older than mine. It's dirty and chipped and used."

Ethan's brow raised with his lips. "Maybe it chipped when I threw it in with the box. It was awfully dusty back in that closet too."

Stop lying. Stop lying to me, her inner voice yelled.

"It's not from the closet. I know that and you know it as well. You bought this bracelet for Elaine. You gave it to her as a gift just as you did with me." She shuddered as she saw Elaine's frightened face in the graveyard. "I saw it. I touched it with my own hand when it was around Elaine's wrist. She kept it. I don't know why and I can never know now, but she kept it. And you--you took it from her. You took it off of her at the falls when you--you--"

Her voice gave out as her body trembled. She tried to hide it. But the fear overlapped her determination. Ethan noticed.

His smirk grew and he took one step closer, then another.

"When I what, Laina? When she was killed in that terrible accident? When she threw herself off the top of the falls? She was a very unstable woman. I only hope Rebecca's at peace now."

"You're lying!" She shrieked at him. "Her name was Elaine! And you--you killed her! She knew you, she knew everything about you and you killed her for it!"