Chapter 26

A/N: Hello my lovelies and happy Tuesday! I hope you all had a spectacular last week and I hope this week is even better. c: Things are starting to pick up, gears are turning, truths are being exposed, and there are only Six. Chapters. Left. (plus an epilogue)

THAT'S CRAZY. I'm so pumped. I hope you are too.

Question of the week: What part of the story (plot line, subplot-line, scene, detail, whatever--has been your favorite? What has stuck with you thus far?

Thank you for sticking with me every step of the way and thank you for your continued love and support. Don't forget to vote, comment, follow, and share this story to help boost it and to help me make it even better for you guys! Every bit counts and I *sincerely* appreciate all of your support. Now--onwards, happy reading, guys! (っ◔◡◔)っ

She was sinking.

Faster and faster and faster.

People screamed all around her in the dark, illuminated for only seconds as a whirling red light spun around the enclosed area.

Clear things hung from the ceiling and she breathed heavily into one that was covering her mouth.

A woman beside her cried and wailed, holding a bundle of blankets tight to her chest.

She wanted to say something--anything to help, to ask what was going on, to figure out what to do. But her lips were tightly sealed and hot tears leaked down her cheeks, disappearing into the cold sweat that covered her skin.

A harsh squeeze on her right hand made her turn in her seat to find a younger boy, twelve or maybe thirteen, huddling into her side and sobbing into her shirt as he clenched her hand desperately.

"Just hold on, Liam. Just hold on, we'll be okay!" Her voice resounded in the blind panic all around them. She heard herself yell to the boy. She recognized her own voice but her lips didn't move. They were frozen like the rest of her.

Liam cried harder and she pulled him into her side, her arms in a vice around him.

A woman in a uniform kneeled down beside him and gripped the base of the opposite seats, cursing and praying all the same as tears streaked down her cheeks.

Laina's throat swelled as the sensation of falling faster and faster pulled her center of gravity upwards. The seats, the walls, the floor, everything shook violently, rattling her bones like she was in a snowglobe a small child eagerly shook to see what would happen.

A deep, booming voice resounded around them, staticky like it was coming through a speaker. "Stay in your seats and brace yourselves for landing in ten!"

People shrieked all around her and Liam screamed in her arms.

"It's okay, we'll be okay. Don't let go of me," she whispered harshly in Liam's hair. Even she didn't trust her own foreign words.

She clutched him tighter and squeezed her wet eyes shut, bracing for the impact.

It was blind panic.

It was darkness with blinking red lights.

It was screaming and cursing and praying and so, so much fear.

And then there was an explosion. A white light. A splitting sensation in her head followed by an audible crack.

And then it was silent.

Laina gasped awake and bolted upright, her eyes wide, her skin covered in a layer of sweat, and her body shaking violently under drenched sheets.