Febuary 1941

It's been 4 weeks since I've seen Danny, we haven't talked since then but he's definitely been on my mind these past 4 weeks. Evelyn and Rafe are together and have been sneaking around and going on small dates and get together. She tells me about their little rendezvous when she would come back. 

    "That's such a romantic story" I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard Betty. Evelyn was telling the girls about 'her and Rafe's story'. "Ugh... I wanna fall in love" Betty sighed setting her chin in her hand. There were 6 nurses counting me, there was Martha, she was the one who would stab the guys with the syringe. Then Barbara, she was the real boy crazy of the group, she had really pretty blonde hair and would always have a piece of gum in. Then there was Sandra, she as always had her nose in a book but would look up occasionally to listen to the story. Lastly we had Betty, she was only 17. She lied about her age to enlist, she had beautiful blonde curls, and was just so full of life. Then you had Evelyn and I of course. 

    "And what about you and Mr. Walker?" Martha said, pulling me out of my thoughts once again.

    "Nothing... He's just an old friend" I say with a smile, Martha opened her mouth to say something but was cut off by the train’s whistle and the train stopping. 

    "You're lucky it's time to get off" Martha said and we all laughed.

    "Lets go ladies... It's time for a night in New York City.” Betty said getting up with a big smile across her face. We all get up and head off the train we all stand in our group and right across was Rafe and his friends. Evelyn ran up to Rafe when she gor over to him he gave her a folded piece of paper folded like a swan and pulled out another one for him. He scooped her up and spun her around, he placed her down and kissed her. I smiled at them. She then turned to the group of us girls…

    “Oh, I want you to meet my friends. This is Martha, Barbara, Sandra, and -” She was cut off by Betty stepping over to them and shaking Rafe’s hand.

    “Hi, I’m Betty” Rafe replies with a simple hi before Betty spoke again. “Would you happen to have any friends?” I laughed at her question, Rafe turned around and gestured to the guys behind him.

    “Take your pick” some of the boys waved and said “Hi.” My eyes drifted until I found the ones I was looking for, I gave him a small smile and a wave. “Ok, guys let’s go have fun.” Rafe said holding his arm out for Evelyn to take once she took it they started to head to the hangout. The guy’s merged with the girls and started following in pursuit. I stayed put waiting for Danny, after they all went by, Danny stood about 3 feet in front of me. He put his hands in his pockets and gave me a smile and lowered his head showing he was nervous. I smiled to myself and took a few steps forward so that we were only a few inches apart. 

    “Hi” he said huskily as if he hadn’t talked in hours. 

    “Hey” I replied he took his hand out of his pocket and held his arm out to me. 

    “Shall we go” I giggled at his cute gesture and took his arm in mine. 

    “We shall” I replied we then set off with the others not being too far ahead of us. We started a small conversation as we walked just about past memories. 

    “Remember the one time Rafe forgot to lock the barn up and the cows ran loose!” Danny exclaimed and we both busted out laughing. 

    “Yeah and we had to chase them all night. My Dad was pissed!” I said in between breaths it was good to feel this happiness like this again… With him again. We stand right at the entrance and the bar is  packed with Navy sailors, nurses, pilots, and other military personnel. Danny and I followed everyone else into the bar but I was pulled back from someone grabbing my arm. I turned to look and it’s Rafe, Danny also turned. “It’s ok Danny I’ll catch you in there” he gives me a nod and heads in, Rafe guides me over away from the door. “What’s going on?” I ask with a worried look.