The 4th of July

July 1934

*Knock* *Knock*

I walked down the steps to go and get the door and I was greeted by the familiar dark brown locks of the boy that has my heart.

"Hey is Rafe up?" He whispers with a questioning look plaster on his face as he takes his arm and leans against the doorway.

"Well since my mom passed away and it's the 4th of July, and my mom usually went in the plane with my dad to watch the fireworks. Rafe went with my dad so he wasn't alone and with dad being sick this might be the last time he'd be able to do this. I didn't want to go I probably would just cry and besides Rafe doesn't get much time with dad it's nice for him." I explained letting a single tear roll down my cheek,Danny took his thumb and wiped it away.

"I'm sorry Kenzie... I know how hard it's been for you losing your Mom. As well as Rafe even though he tries to hide it" I gave him a small smile in return. He then takes his arm off the door frame and gently grabs my elbow making circles with his thumb to try and soothe me. He then pulls me fully into a tight embrace.

"Well I think I have something that will make you feel better." Danny said wiping away, the tears I hadn't known fallen. I simply nod in response he then takes my hand in his and starts guiding me to the field in between our houses. 

"Ok you ready?" I nod my head.

"Ok three..."

"Two..."

"One..." He then uncovers my eyes and there's a blanket and some lanterns set up.

"Wow... you did this for me?" I turn to him his cheeks turning red he scratches the back of his neck nods. I pull him into a tight embrace he gives me a kiss on the top of my head. We then break apart and he takes me over to the blanket. We sit down and just have a conversation about life then after a while he looks down at his watch. 

"The fireworks should be starting in abut 2 minutes." Danny  looked back up at me and I just stared into his warm eyes as he was staring into mine and smiled.

"What?" I ask with a little giggle.

"You just have the prettiest blue eyes." I feel my face start to heat up and turn red, my heart started to pound faster. I put my head down in attempt to hide my red cheeks my brown curls hitting my face I pull a strand back behind my ear. 

Danny then lies down and looks up at the stars I lay down and snuggle close into his chest and he puts his arm around my waist to hold me close. Then there was a bright flash followed by a loud crack.

The fireworks have started...

"I'm happy I got to spend this time with you" Danny says I turn my head to look at him. He turns his head to look at me he smiles and moves a strand of my brown hair behind my ear. He then rest his hand on the side of my face I lean into his hand and set my hand on top of his.

"Me to" I say giving him a smile, we lay looking at stars for a little while eventually falling asleep. I wake up to the sound of my dads plane in the distance. I sat up so fast I thought I almost got whiplash. I look over to see Danny still sleeping he looks so peaceful I didn't want to wake him up but I wasn't going to let us get caught.

"Danny... Danny... Wake up!" I say shaking his chest.

"What's wrong Love?" He asks with his groggy voice sitting up with his elbows.

"Heard my dad's plane we got to clean this up" I say with a sad tone . He gives me a small pout and lowers his head with a loud sigh, he then stands up and I stand up as well. I start to fold the blanket while he blows out the lanterns and starts to grab them. Then I see the plane start to come in view and turn to land. 

"Go...Go... behind the barn" Danny and I run to the back of the barn I peak around to see my dad land the plane. Rafe then jumps out while my dad makes sure everything was turned off Danny and I both let out a sigh.

"Love?" I turn to him with a smirk and raised eyebrow.

"Yeah it was another nickname I was thinking for you" he says scratching the back of his neck as his cheeks turn red. 

"I love it" I say giving him a smile and looks at me and smiles back. " I guess I should probably head up there before they freak out that I'm not there" I set his blanket down so he could grab it then I start to walk away. But then I turn on my heel...

"But first" Danny puts the lanterns down and places his hands on my waist and pulls me close as I place my hands on his shoulders our lips only centimeters apart until that gap closes. It was a passionate kiss filled with all the love held for each other. We then break apart for a breath resting our heads against each other. His hands still placed at my hips my hands resting on his chest. 

"I love you...I love you so much Danny."

"I love you so much Mackenzie and I always will."