chapter 30

James 

England  

James was here once again, nervous in Adrian's castle, about to attend another celebration in honor of his child.

James wiped his palms on his jeans. It was going to be Ok. He needed it to be Ok. But what if he fucked it up? What if he said the wrong thing? What if he pushed his daughter away before he had a chance to know her?

Artyom grabbed his hand and brought it to his lips. "You're not your father."

Such a small sentence and yet its effect on James was infinite. He could breathe. He took a sip of his drink and smiled at Artyom. "Thank you. I...I think I'm ready."

Artyom nodded. "I believe in you, love." They walked to the big, private living room together. 

James saw his family and friends gathered around, talking to his daughter.

Violet was standing beside Ada, a glass clutched in her hand. She was beautiful like a dream, long, dark hair rested on her shoulders, her green eyes looked sharp and nervous and a little bit bored.

James's hand went to his heart. Tears of joy filled his eyes. This was a moment he had lost faith in but he was here now. They were both here.

James walked forward, Artyom's hand on his lower back and cleared his throat. "Hello Violet. It's very nice to finaly meet you."

He cringed at his formal tone. What the hell was he doing? He wasn't in a meeting. This was his daughter and James had no idea how to talk to her.

"Same here. I've been waiting all day to meet you." Violet apparently was not put off by his awkwardness.

James smiled, releaved. "I hope you're not disappointed."

"It's too early to decide." Violet's tone was serious but he cought a glimmer of playfullness in her eyes, so much like his own.

He chuckled and gestured to Artyom. "This is my boyfriend. Artyom."

Violet nodded in his direction."Hi."

Artyom nodded back. "It's a pleasure to meet you Violet."

James noticed the others had moved back, giving him privacy with his daughter.

"Do you want to take a walk? I need some air." Violet offered. "I saw a chapel outside but Ada forgot to show it to me."

"I would love to."

*

"So you know my sob story."
Violet said nonechalantly as they settled on the benches inside the chapel. "Gideon and Ada told you?"

James nodded with an aching heart. "Yes and I'm really so..."

Violet held up a hand. "No. Not you too. I'm sick of that word."

"I just..."

"I know but please don't. I can't stand this pitty party anymore. Now that you know what happened, we can move past it and you can treat me like a normal person."

James bit his lip. "I... Alright. If that's what you want I respect it."

"Thank you."

What the hell was he going to say to her now? This is not how he thought this day would go.

"Do you believe in God?" Violet saved them from awkwardness again.

"No." James admitted. "I tried when I was younger but I don't think religion is for me. God was always too busy to care."