chapter 42

Adrian

England

"Mission accomplished." Gideon announced, walzing into Adrian's rooms with a beer bottle in hand.

Adrian knew Gideon loved him like a brother but he didn't think Gideon would stay by his side after what he had done.

"No more children left in the castle?" Adrian asked, taking a sip of the healing potion Marcia had made him and tried not to gag, wishing he could have some of Gideon's beer to chase the taste away.

He knew better than to complain. Beggers weren't choosers. He needed some of his strength back and time wasn't on his side.

"You need to finish that." Asma- Bianca's mother- told him sternly.

Adrian obliged with a groan and winced as Marcia and Asma put a new salve on his still open, bloody wound.

"Everyone under eighteen left. Told you I could manage on my own." Gideon plopped in a chair near his bed, and put his black boots on the bed, earning a glare from Thia which he gracefully ignored.

Since he was feeling half dead, Adrian had asked Gideon -as his third- to evacuate anyone who didn't wish to fight and find someone to portal them to a safe house.

Most of them had stayed. It warmed his heart with love and gratitude. Adrian wished he had more to offer them, but all he had was an aching, broken down body and a teenager to do his dirty work.

If Violet decided not to help, his siblings would surely storm the castle, thirsty for blood. His home and his family would be destroyed.

"How'd you manage that?" This from Marcia who was wiping her hands with a napkin.

"Promised them a free trip to the water park." Gideon took a sip of his beer.

"You used your charm speak, didn't you?" Marcia looked up with a raised eyebrow and scratched her curly brown hair.

Gideon smirked. "I'm a charming person." But then got serious. "I love childeren but those little shits were bloody stubborn. I mean what sort of kid says no to fun?" He snorted.

"A responsible one." Thia told her brother with a smile. "You should know. You were one of them."

Gideon squeezed his sister's hand affectionately. "I had to go with plan B. You know desperate times, desperate measures. My charming toungue doesn't cause them any harm. Just helps them make better choices."

"Well thank god for that." Thia patted his head.

Gideon winked. "Yeah just ask Ada. She'll tell you all about it. My sweetheart loves it when I..."

Thia smirked.

Marcia made a face. "Stop talking."

"Maybe I will ask her." Asma winked. "I'm sure you'd love it Marcy."

Adrian chuckled, trying not to wince.

"Please don't." Marcia said. "You're all unbearable."

Asma smiled and kissed her cheek. "You love us."

"Even though you annoy me." Marcia shot back.

"They're so cute." Gideon mouthed at Thia and Adrian which made them chuckle quietly.

Adrian nodded at Gideon. "Thank you brother. I knew you could do it."

"Anything for you mate. I'm tacking a rain check on punching you though. What you did was very wrong."

Adrian laid his head back against the headboard. "Yes I am aware."

"And even worse is that you gave me only half the truth. You should have told me about the Goddess's witches decades ago."