chapter 37

Adrian 

Adrian was hunched over a book in the library when he felt the dagger pushing at his back.

He smiled, the smell of peaches tickiling his nose. "I was waiting for you."

"Sorry I kept you waiting your majesty." Violet said.

"Would you mind if we have a little chat before you finish me off?"

"So you can manipulate me and change my mind?"

"Are you easily manipulated?" Adrian asked.

"If that was true, I would be long gone and you would be dead."

"In that case can I offer you a glass of my homemade lemonade?" Adrian gestured to the pitcher on the desk.

Violet laughed. "I rather not get poinsoned."

"You have such a low opinion of me."

"I don't know you."

"That's why we need to have a chat."

"So you can convince me to trust you?" She scoffed.

"Oh no. God himself couldn't convince you to trust me."

Violet pulled back. "One wrong move and you're dead."

Adrian smiled. "Understood." He poured the lemonade into a tall glass.

Violet sat in front of him, the poisonous dagger dangling loosely from her hand. The smell of peach wasn't strong enough to suggest she had used an entire fruit. Perhaps there was still hope.

"I'm not drinking that." She made a face. "I don't like sour things."

"Maybe if you mixed it with the peach it would taste better?"

Violet sighed. "I'm not doing anything for you." She looked tired.

Adrian sipped from his own glass. "I'm not asking you to. Maybe you should do something for your good friend Bianca who you treated so horribly."

Violet frowned. "You suck at this good cop shit."

"I'm just being practical."

"You're being an asshole." She stared at him with unnerving green eyes.

Adrian shrugged. "Same thing I suppose."

"If you're so worried about Bianca why didn't you help her? Stop me?"

"I prefer to mind my own bussiness unless asked otherwise."

"I could have killed her."

"You could have disappeared the minute you were out of Lykos's grasp. You could have done many things differently and yet you're still here."

"I made a deal with him. I have to keep it."

"Of course. Here." Adrian pushed up his white sleeve and held out his arm.

Violet rose an eyebrow at him. "What makes you think I'll be satisfied with a shallow cut?"

"I know my siblings want to kill me themselves. If you take that from them, they will certainly not be happy and I'm sure you know how my brother gets whan he's not happy."

Violet's jaw clenched. "I should rip that silver toungue out of your mouth."

"My girlfriend Thia wouldn't like that. You don't want her as your enemy."

Violet rolled her eyes and grasped his arm in a fast, vicious move, opening up his skin smoothly with the dagger. Peach residue left a terrible burn on his open flesh. Adrian hissed in pain.

Violet pulled back and winced. "Sorry."

Adrian took a shaky breath. "It's fine. Not my first time being stabbed with a weapon laced in peach poison."

Violet was looking at his blood on her dagger. "Lykos told me it hurts so bad you wish for death."

"Bit of an exaguration but yes it will get unbearable very soon." He tried not look at his wound.

Violet rubbed at her mouth. "I wish I hadn't come here. I've caused all of you so much pain. Maybe I should have just disappeared."

"I'm glad you came. I'm sure your family agrees with me."

"They will hate me for this."

"For a while but they will forgive you eventualy."

Violet took out one of the peaches and scratched her forehead. "I can't kill the Twins, not for you, not for anyone. They terrify me Adrian. Lykos terrifies me. It's not the sort or fear that gives me strength. It turns me into a little kid."

Adrian smiled bitterly at her. "I know dear. I'm not asking you to lift a finger agains them. Just eat that peach."

"And offer myself to them on a silver platter?" Violet snorted. "That's not much better."

"Just Lykos. My sister is out of France, gathering an army to attack my home in the very near future. She won't disturb you. My brother however, would love a victory bite from his little spy."

"What if... what if he kills me?"

"Lykos has many vices but he is a man of his world. The peach will reach his system shortly. He will never hurt you again."

"How will you get rid of your sister? If I take both peaches?"

"I still have a bone dagger from long ago. It's from the Goddesse's sacred animal, distinct for centuries. It is poisonous to my kind, like the peaches. I've saved it for the very last resort."

Violet stood up. "Ok I'll think about it." She twirled the peach brtween her fingers. "I hope you don't die Adrian. I hope none of you do."

"I hope so too." Adrian sighed and looked at his bloody right hand. He was losing consciousness. It felt like his veins were full of fire.

"Do you want me to... get you to your room? You look really bad." Violet said, not meeting his eyes.

Adrian managed a weak smile. "No thank you. It's time for you to be free."

Violet nodded and disappeared, leaving Adrian alone with the hellish pain.

He reached for his phone with shaky fingers. "Thia I need you..." His eyes closed. He was falling.

Adrian had made a huge risk. They could lose everything.