| 8 |

The summer had passed by as fast as the train speeding by barren land and hills. It had been eventful for Draco, to say the least. Fall didn't technically begin until the end of the first week at Hogwarts, but Draco had had enough with the season of summer to care for that fact.

If Fall could come sooner, he would be extremely grateful. He knew it wouldn't actually change anything. Draco would still be plagued with the task of killing the headmaster of the school he was riding to at that very moment.

Draco straightened the sleeve of his black blouse and flicked a piece of flint off his shoulder. He couldn't stop fidgeting.

Blaise and Pansy noticed, yet decided to stay quiet after their elongated argument had left their throats dry.

When two minutes had passed of the same tension, Draco stood. Blaise was beginning to nod off, but Pansy looked at him in curiosity.

"Before you ask, I'm just going to stretch my legs," Draco said. She nodded and returned her gaze to the window. He sighed before grabbing his bag off the rack.

The car's passengers paid no attention as Draco maneuvered around suitcases and feet that were splayed out in the middle of the aisle. He opened the door at the end and walked into the car with closed rooms.

A couple wasn't trying hard enough to conceal the fact that they were snogging as Draco passed. Their breaths were audible even from where he was standing. He sneered and tried to get as far away as possible until, finally, he could no longer hear them.

Relationships were not Draco's forte, and he frankly had no interest in them. He was most certainly not a fan of PDA.

A girl wearing a Hufflepuff scarf passed Draco. She met his height and held her head down as if she was making sure not to trip. His gaze followed her as she walked away.

He wasn't trying to be creepy, he just liked to read people. Well, maybe that was creepy.

Definitely creepy.

When he turned his head back, Goyle was waiting for him at the end of the aisle.

"Goyle," Draco stated in greeting. Goyle dipped his head in return. "Listen, I need you to do something for me."

"Ok," Goyle replied. That's what Draco liked about him. He was a man of few words.

"Can you guard the bathroom while I'm in there? I just have to find something," Draco said, motioning to his bag. Goyle gave him a look that suggested "sure," which was more than enough for Draco.

He slid open the bathroom door near the right and closed it behind him. The small bathroom was cramped, so when he kneeled his chin was nearly resting on the toilet.

Draco tried his best not to gag as he rummaged through his bag. He eventually felt the velvet box and lifted it out. The sinister voices rose up at him again, but he shook it off.

The necklace was secured in its brown paper. If anyone decided to check his bag, he would need to make sure they didn't find this.

He ran his fingers along a seam on his bag before, with a grunt, he tore it apart. The fabric separated, creating enough space for the box to rest. It was small enough to not attract any eyes.

Draco sealed it and stood, again adjusting his tie and blouse. It was a subconscious thing.

When he walked back out, Goyle stepped aside to let him pass. Draco held a hand out to him.

"Thanks, Goyle. See you at Hogwarts?" Draco asked.

"No problem, and yeah," Goyle replied. Draco smiled and turned to walk away.

The face he saw made his heart skip a beat. His hair was wild, and his green eyes roamed the car before landing on Draco.

Draco balled his hands into fists as the boy stood, staring at him. He stared back with a sneer. Harry squinted his eyes back at Draco, sizing him up.

"What do you think you're doing, Potter?" snapped Draco.

"Nothing," Harry murmured. He was hiding something. Draco seethed.

As he walked by, he shoved Harry's shoulder. The touch of revenge felt good, although it wasn't nearly enough for Draco. He needed to see Harry struggle like he did. Every day.

"You're a bloody git, Malfoy!" Harry yelled after him. Draco payed no attention, instead pulling himself into the next car and closing the door, separating himself from Harry.

Now his rage wouldn't calm down for at least another hour. Knowing that Harry was in the next car made him want to scream. He could so easily curse him, but there were too many people around.

Draco couldn't blow his cover. He threw his bag onto the rack and sat back down at his seat to face Pansy and a sleeping Blaise.

"That was quick," said Pansy. She held an intense gaze on Draco. He smirked.

"Mind your business." Draco placed his hands in front of him and leaned his head back to rest on the seat's top.

Harry Potter. The source of Draco's problems. He felt like he could just waltz around, doing whatever he wanted with no consequence. He could mess up and everyone would still say, "He's the Chosen One, he can't be punished!"

Draco could be punished. And none of it was fair. He felt a mixture of resentment, envy, and rage. All he wanted to be was free.

Free from the life he'd been given.

———————————

A/N:

I hope you're still enjoying the story, especially since Harry just arrived!

Any thoughts about this chapter? —>

————————————