17

Jasmine

"There's...there's good doctors," I say in the morning.

He sighed. "They cost money."

I shake my head. "She doesn't have to know that. Look, I was thinking about this all night, okay! We call, we tell her, to participate in a study and that in this study she'll receive free trial treatments!"

I smirk. I know I'm a genius. I wait for his praise.

"She won't buy that. She knows better than to believe anything is free," he groans.

"Then we'll the talk up risks. Not enough that she thinks it'll kill her, but enough to make it seem worth the treatments being free. It's perfect!"

Travis looks over at me with a smile. "I soprethe help but Wes would literally rather die than go to a doctor for anything."

"Then we'll bring the doctor to her? Don't you see? I'm a literal genius! I can find a way around it! And you, Wes is practically your mom you know more than anyone how to convince her. We can do it. And who knows, maybe that 3 percent goes up."

Travis thinks about it silently, but I can tell his impressed. He goes over the cons in his mind, trying to find the fatal flaw.

I already know it. And that's where a practical deception will have to be made.

"Wait...if we pretend the treatment is free...who pays for it? I don't have the money, hell, no one in my family does. Even put together we don't make enough for trip an ambulance more than once a year."

I swallow, schooling my features. "The best part is, it doesn't have to be a lie. I grew up with people who are now doctors. I called around and...I found a program. One that will help her."

He's skeptical immediately.

"Of course I didn't accept it on your family's behalf, but I hope that you'll meet with them. They're good people, I know them personally. Just...just hear what they have to say and pitch it to Wes." I offer.

He smiles softly. "Look, j know it's sad and all, but why are you doing all this? We're friends, but not this close."

I swallow. "I get attached to people easily. And if you and I don't work out, I'm going to date your sister, and I can't do that if she's not here so," I shrug. "It was just a few calls."

He looks over my expression. But the perks of being groomed as child by your parents and a millionaire who was your mentor is knowing very well how to lie.

Show one emotion. Present it outwardly. Hold your hands naturally. Keep eye contact. Laugh for a moment as they stare your down, that's your normal behavior. You're still a bit normal.

And the ask:

"Don't you trust me? I've never lied to you have I?"

Travis smiles, putting his forehead against mine. "No. Of course I trust you."

Of course you do. They always do. Then because thinking I had a mind of my own was outrageous. And him, because I really haven't lied to him.

Because I like him.

"I just don't want you going to trouble for me and mine."

"I told you, your hot sister is my next flame, and my nephew needs his mom. So...just do the meeting. You don't have to agree, I just want you to see the options."

Be sensible. Don't ask for too much. But always ask for a little more than you actually need. Then take it down, so it seems like your cowering.

"You know what, you don't even have to meet them. Just let me give you their number. Okay?"