9

Jon's eyes opened slowly. He realized he was leaning against something. At first, he thought it was the car's windowsill, but then he remembered the car's windowsill was on the right side of him, not the left. 

He woke up in dread as he realized he was leaning against Damian.

"You're awake," Damian observed.

Jon immediately sat up, "I'm sorry!" he yelped, "I didn't mean- I, uh, fell asleep-"

"It's fine," Damian said in a tone that was something like amusement.

Jon looked out of the window, red-faced in embarrassment. 

After a while of driving through town, they found a shabby hotel they could rent for the time being, which was conveniently facing the suspect's house. Jon unpacked their things while Damian looked out the window.

"Who are we spying on anyway?" Jon asked as he unpacked.

"It's a stakeout," Damian corrected him, "and we're spying on this random drug dealer. I dunno." He shrugged.

"Oh right," Jon said. The will to make a conversation withered.

The pair sat in silence. Jon was on the bed and Damian was sitting on a chair, facing the window. After a while, Damian stood up, "I... I'm going to get some... resources."

"Food?"

"Yes." Without another word, Damian walked briskly out of the room.

Jon sighed and took the seat Damian was sitting on.

I hope we can forgive each other, he thought.

~*~

Damian walked awkwardly out of the room. Once he was out of sight, he let out a sigh. 

This month is a disaster, he thought sadly. As Damian walked to the nearest grocery store, he remembered what happened earlier.

"You should get some sleep," Damian had said, "it's going to be a long ride."

Before long, Jon was asleep. Damian drove on. Later, he drove over a bump that made him bounce in his seat. He glanced at Jon, and realized that the Kryptonian was asleep on his shoulder.

His first reaction was to push him away in surprise. However, this moment led him to remember all those times he shared with Jon, back when this mess hadn't started yet. Damian decided to let him sleep.

Damian was dismayed when Jon finally woke up, and threw himself against the window when he found out he was leaning against Damian.

Damian awoke from the memories and entered the grocery store, picking some vegetables from the veggie aisle. He remembered Jon's expression when he woke up.

He doesn't love me anymore, Damian's heart throbbed, the spark between us had gone out.

Even though Damian knew it didn't apply to him, he let him believe that. 

The assassin bought some vegetables, fruit, and snacks, and as he was walking back he thought, We'll never be able to forgive each other at this rate.

And that's when he was attacked.