Chapter 5 - The Past

~ Delilah’s POV ~

2 weeks before the maze:

I was stuck in my room doing homework once again. My Dad always forced me to do extra work on anything to maintain my A grades, it was the same with my brother. I had nearly finished a sheet on advanced algebra when I heard his footsteps in the landing.

“Sweetheart we have some guests coming tonight, they’re going to ask you some questions about your hobbies and school. I expect you down at 6 in some nice clothes”

“Ok Dad!” I shouted back.

I was kind of excited! We never had people round because of the flare virus and I’d like to see people my age. 

Finally, it was 6, I decided to wear my best dress and even curl my hair. As I walked down the stairs I heard muffled voices saying:

“So, how is she doing in school?”

“She has all A grades and the same with her brother”

“Would you say that your daughter is pretty?” A man asked.

“She’s only 16!”

“Look, this whole company is looking for a cure for the well known flare virus, recently in an experiment of ours one of the subjects has been suffering from depression and his patterns are very dull. We need to stimulate his brain and help him through this, we think your daughter would be perfect for the subject.”

“Yes, I would consider my daughter as pretty but after her mother died she’s not been the same”

“It will be fine, nothing the swipe couldn’t solve” another woman stated.

I couldn’t listen to them talking about me any longer so I walked into the dining room and sat at the table.

“As if the lady was summoned herself!” My dad laughed. He always had a great sense of humor.

“Hello there. My name is Janson and I’m head of security at a company called WICKED. Our goal here at WICKED is to find a cure for the flare virus. We have an experiment going on that monitors brain patterns in teenagers and one of our subjects has been extremely sad recently. We think that a beautiful young lady like you could stimulate his patterns and help him out of this terrible state. We will be needing to take action immediately so if you don’t mind you will be staying with us for the next couple months.”

I looked at my dad in shock. Would I ever see him again?

“It’s for the best darling” he said tears forming his eyes “Remember: I love you”

"Do I have to go?"

"It's to save the human race itself!" The lady added in. "You won't need to bring anything, all the things you'll need are back at the institute"

“What is the subject’s name?” I asked Janson

“His name is Newt”

------ Authors note -------

This is unreal! 181 views that's amazing. Sorry this chapter isn’t good it was just a filler about how Delilah came to be in the maze and what her task is with Newt, also I didn’t mention her brother’s name because you’ll find that out later in the story.

Can anyone come up with a ship name for Delilah and newt? All the ones I come up with are weird ahaha

See you all in the next chapter!