Chapter 8 - The Meeting

~ Newt’s POV ~

It was the keeper meeting to decide which job Delilah would get:

“I think she should be a runner. Did you see her beat Gally last night? She can obviously fend for herself. I bet with a bit of training she could be one of our best runners!”

“She’s a girl. You seriously think she can be a good runner?” Gally asked.

“Just because she’s a girl doesn’t mean she can’t do anything that we bloody can’t!” I shouted.

“I agree with Newt,” Alby said.

“And me,” Minho added.

“And me,” Frypan called.

“Look I know newt just wants his buggin’ girlfriend to get the jobs she wants. She’s a freak and he doesn’t actually think she’d be a good runner!”

“Says the guy who lost to her.” Minho cried smugly.

“She’s not my girlfriend and she is definitely not a freak! I think Delilah would be a great runner and at least give her a chance.” My eyes landed on Gally.

“Let’s have a vote. All those in favour of Delilah becoming a runner.” Alby said whilst his hand shot up.

Minho, Zart, Frypan, Clint and most of the other keepers put their hands up. Except the keeper of the baggers - Billy - and Gally. 

“Looks like it’s settled then, Minho, you will show Delilah around the maze tomorrow.”

I didn’t really want Delilah to be a runner, I didn’t want to get hurt. I didn’t need another thing to worry about, I always felt so down and I didn’t know what to do, if I lost Lyla too I don’t think I could live with myself. She makes me happy and I love talking to her. As I sat down to think things over I saw her run over to me.

“Newt thank you so much!” 

“It’s ok. You got what you wanted, just promise me you’ll be careful out there.”

“I will.”

Authors note:

This is so short I’m so sorry. I’m really busy atm and I have writers block. So idk when the next update will go up. I also start online school tomorrow (ugh).
See everyone soon!