Mission Start

"So, uh, Corpse. How good are you with guns?" Sykkuno asked as I looked over the file again.

"I've used one once or twice on the fly, but I think I'll manage. Besides, is a sniper rifle really necessary for this? Hell, is any firearm really necessary?" I asked, showing the picture of our client. "I mean, I can agree having this kind of collection is really, uh...admirable. But is it really worth killing someone over?"

Charlie White. I knew the name. A streamer who looked like the second coming of Christ himself and was well versed in the art of sarcasm. Apparently, at least according to the file, he came to the don saying he had been receiving multiple threats from an individual. That if he didn't hand over his massive priced possessions, the aggressor would take action by force. And very soon at that.

What was the priced possession? A 60 pound dildo, or best known as The Moby Huge. He had two of them to be precise. He had been in some kind of battle of the sex toys on his platform against a bubble gum E-girl named Belle Delphine, who was a suspect in the file.

She was pretty, but she wasn't really any E-girl I'd be ruined over. That spot went to someone else with a New Jersey accent...

Anyways, this Belle Delphine was attractive and unassuming on the surface, but still seemed capable of hiring some muscle round the clock to do some dirty work. I could only assume the aggressor threatening Charlie was someone working under the likes of her, and tonight would be the night one party would be victor in battle. However, I felt quite confident I would be on the victorious side, knowing that if we won we would be rewarded handsomely. That and who wouldn't want to be the ones responsible for keeping such a unique collection in tact?

Sykkuno chuckled, embarrassed. "I couldn't agree more. But um, usually Don Scarra gives us weapons only if the mission calls for it. If he gave us a sniper rifle with a line of magazines, he wants us to get the job done swiftly and get paid when we aren't able to be spotted."

  "Huh...a-alright." I said, slinging the gun on my shoulder with care. "I'll take care of it." I looked over to see Sykkuno studying my bat and knife on the counter. "You can take those along with us. I know you'll be on watch, but I can still offer them up to you as protection."

"Really? Oh, gee. Thanks, Corpse." Sykkuno grabbed my bat and tossed me my knife. I caught the blade with ease. As we walked out the door, I watched Sykkuno tuck some binoculars into his coat and snatched a small vine of purple flowers and leaves off a houseplant with his gloved hands. He smiled at me. "Clematis."

"What does that do?" I asked, unfamiliar with the word.

"The flower." He said, gesturing to the green and purple in his palm. "It's poisonous if eaten. I'm not saying anyone would eat it willingly, but sometimes I have to be that force of will."

The thought of Sykkuno force feeding someone a poison substance never crossed my mind until now. A houseplant that poisons the one who consumes it. This is why I didn't have any thing but a burnable laptop in my apartment. "I'm a gardener, Corpse." Sykkuno said as we walked down a dark alley way. "I take good care of every piece of greenery or herb I come to see fit. It's my specialty. Besides, the plants are vital to my job."

"That being?"

"Well, um...plants th-they are very beautiful, and useful to me. Any and all plants have the fantastic ability to cure...and also the ability to harm. For my own safety, I use a lot of deadly substances to save...or end a life."

The shiver from earlier had returned. I didn't respond to that. It was enough an explanation for me...

"What about you, Corpse? Do you have a certain passion in doing your job?"