Passion Worth Fighting For

Sykkuno picked up a potted plant on our way to Cartel. I asked him what substance it was and he said it was an aloe, or a curative succulent. I actually knew what this one was, as it got rid of minor sunburns and sometimes smelled really good, but I didn't know it originated from succulents. It was really amazing to see him know all about a plant from just a glance.

"What made you so interested in gardening, Sykkuno?" I asked, genuinely curious at how that came about.

He thought about it as we walked past shop shutting down their stores and patio restaurants for the evening. "Well, my mother is actually a florist." He admitted. "Ever since I was little, I always enjoyed upkeeping the flowers with her. You know, so they could thrive and make others happy. Roses were always one of the hardest to attend to, but they still win people over at the end of the day. Heck, roses are what made me instant friends with Capo Lily."

I tilted my head. "So...you found inspiration from your mother?"

He snapped his fingers. "Actually, it was my dad who you could say...planted the seed." He turned away to chuckle at what he just said. I bit my lip, trying not to laugh as a jerk of a chuckle escaped. I didn't know he had it in him to make puns.

Sykkuno continued. "My dad is a pharmacist. He's the best at what he does. The minute he said medicine was made from plants and herbs, something inside me clicked. If medicine could be grown, I could divvy up some numbers and make my own supply. And since I could understand the concept of upkeeping my mom's flower garden, I started investing in my own garden. Except mine involving medical herbs. You know, to help others."

"I feel like that doesn't add up." I bit my cheek, puzzled.

"Huh?"

"How did you find yourself caught up in the Comfy Cartel if you wanted to help people via medicine? Why not be a doctor or a green house worker?"

Sykkuno laughed nervously. "Um... so it turns out a dead body makes the best fertilizer."

I looked at him dumbstruck. He shrugged. "Why else do you think the best of autumn leaves are found in cemeteries?" He asked.

Holy shit.

"Anyways," he went on, "since I had ties with Lily, I asked her to pull of few strings. And she gave me a spot in the Comfy Cartel as a handler and top meditator under Toast. If I provide information and healing services for the family, in return, I'd get what was left of a disposed body to fertilize my plants. And as a bonus, I received a large share of poisons to plant separately from my herbs. So more things to defend and heal with."

"So...do you want to save people or kill people?" I asked, still puzzled.

"Look at it this way, Corpse, sometimes you have to take a life to save another. How can I save a life if my herbs aren't cared for? And if the one killed was a bad person, was he better off alive and inflicting pain, or dead giving nutrients for my plants to save others?"

I was taken aback. I'd never...wow. I couldn't even fucking process this. So, did he only fertilize with those who did bad to Cartel or..?

He went on more. "Doctors do the same with their patients. Honestly, I feel more alive in the Cartel as a handler than I ever would if I were to be a desk worker or a mineralogist teacher in a high school." He opened the door to the plant shop and we both walked in. "I mean, my parents believe I'm saving lives. And that's how I see things working under this division. Sometimes people have to die to let others live, you know?"

I was silent as we went through the secret door. He was doing all of this for a fucking garden. I couldn't tell if he was a sociopath or blissfully kind and dedicated to the cause. But he had a point. If he had such a passion for plants, he was living it down to every tee set up for him. It really was a passion worth fighting for. Heh...we really were the exact opposite of each other.

"...you're a very interesting person, Sykkuno."

He nodded with a smile as he walked ahead of me. "What about you, Corpse? What are you're parents like?"

I stopped walking and glared at him in the lowlight. "Let's talk about something else other than...parents."

"Why not? You not fond yours?" Sykkuno looked back at me.

"No. I'm in this line of work because of them."

He faltered for a moment before flashing a nervous smile. "Oh...well, um. If you aren't passionate about the job, what is your passion then, Corpse?"

"Music." I said before I could stop myself.

"Really? Wow, I didn't really expect that from you."

"Nobody really does." I said as we began walking again.

"What kind of music?"

"Hip-hop, rap, lofi. Stuff like that. I have a way with writing I guess. Thinking about expanding my craft one day..."

Collabbing with other people would be...Logic-al.

See? I thought to myself. I can make puns too.

Before I could say anything else, Sykkuno opened the door to the meeting room. We were right on time. And the sound of two voices fighting for dominance exploded in our ears.

"We can talk about this matter after tonight. Please, keep your voice down!"

"No, Poki, we aren't done here! Come o—"

At the corner of my eye, the potted plant had slipped from Sykkuno's fingers. What the hell?? I caught the pot mid-fall as he arms fell to his side. I turned to see where his gaze had landed. But when I did, I too had to remind myself I was holding something.

Two women were standing at the leather furniture talking by a fireplace. One had moderately lengthen brown hair, and the other had a long and overflowing mixture of blonde and brunette highlights. Both were wearing suits, except one was black and the other red. The girl with the highlights and red suit's gaze turned towards us. Her expression was somewhat frustrated before smirking at us with charisma.

She was so...sharp.

I felt like I was being sucked into her world with just a glance. But I also felt a sense of unease with that stare. Was it playful? Vicious? What were these feelings she radiated?

It was then, Sykkuno spoke. And his words, sent chills down my spine.

"Oh my god...Rae? Is that you?"

*****

Damn, y'all I'm exceeding my expectations again! And so are you! This story is almost at 1k reads and it hasn't even been a month since release yet!! Thank you so much! Aside from making a schedule for a trip to Japan, I haven't been as dedicated to story writing a story since finishing my Ryan Ross fic (which took two years to finish. Go check it out on my Watt page!)

Thank you all so SO much for sticking with me and my stupid college schedule! Here's to the next chapter! Like I said, chapter releases will come when they come this semester.

Don't forget to vote, comment, share, and follow me for more! Thanks again for reading and I will see you all in the next chapter! 😽