Just a Drink

Three months later

~Il Dolce Pub (10:47)~

"Um, guys. Don't you think it's a bit early to drink?" Sykkuno asked as we sat down in a hole in the wall bar only Rae knew of. It was surprisingly well furnished and saturated in green and blue lighting. I never really drank anywhere in the area before today and, not gonna lie, it was rather inviting...and quiet. Especially since the bar was opened and serviced early to those who had a certain password, which Rae was in possession of.

"Hell, no, Sykkuno!" She yelled, gesturing for a serving of shots. "It was a full night of work and after a long day...night, whatever! I want to have a nice shot of vodka in the least. Right, Corpse?"

I shook my head as I twisted the shot glass in my hand. "I...I wouldn't know. All heavy alcohol tastes the same to me: gross."

"All the heavy stuff? Why??" Rae exclaimed.

"That's...not important." I said hesitantly.

"Oh, really?" Sykkuno chimed in, blinking with surprise. "I'd like to know, Corpse."

I felt my face turn warm as our shot glasses became full. "...okay."

———

*Meanwhile...at the Comfy Cartel.*

"Good morning, Poki." Toast said, shutting the door behind him.

"Same for you, Toast. Nice to see you in good health." She said as she crossed her legs proper in her seat.

"Yeah." He nodded, walking forward and tracing her desk counter with his gloved finger before sitting down. "...so, you called me in concerning a recent development of my long term target?"

Poki nodded as she pulled out a small folder, laying out a few pages of scribbles. "Yes. In regards to the mission three months ago, we were somehow able to calm Karl Jacobs down upon arrival." She tapped one of the pages. "He was a little roughed up and delirious, but he was sane enough to thank us and then some for his retrieval. Especially thanking Corpse."

"Is that so? Huh...what did he say?"

"Well...he went on about everything he saw and did for him, going up against Quackity like it was nothing. And...apparently, your target have connections with Corpse..." Poki peered at Toast intently. "Were you aware of that before bringing him on the team with us?"

Toast shrugged, his expression unchanging. "Not even one bit. I had my suspicions a little afterwards, but I was 100% clueless. I did probe Corpse once about his whereabouts on that night, but he really didn't say much on the matter. Still why bring him up? And how does Karl Jacobs know about my long term mission?"

"I had Karl collect information along with you and report to me on the situation every now and then. Sorry to keep that from you." Poki frowned.

Toast clicked his tongue. "Anyways, I found him dead and battered in his apartment living room the night I intended to take him out. I left the report at that. So why bring it up months after I made my report?"

Poki took a deep breathing dismay before speaking again. "...because apparently he also had connections to Rae."

Toast lowered his shades to return Poki's glare. "What? Really?? You're kidding."

"It was from Karl's lips, not mine...but to be honest, I'm skeptical about believing it myself." Poki leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms. "The reason behind this mistrust is because she made a threat of sorts on site towards Quackity in the warehouse. Saying she had connections to a 'Soot' and it would ruin both our reputations."