Long Time No See

"Rae...is it really you?"

The other girl, Poki, backed up towards a study door opposite the one we walked in. "Let's discuss this matter later Rae. You handle him and I'll talk to Toast about things. Good luck tonight..."

And with the door shut, silence fell over us all. Nothing but the crackling sound of fire filled the room. Rae's expression didn't falter fo a moment as she nodded with a chuckle.

"Hm hm. Hey, Sykkuno. Long time no see. How have you been?" She said with a smile, walking her way towards us.

Her honey-ditz voice made me shiver. I don't know if this feeling was how everyone felt when they heard my voice, but I couldn't help but wonder if this was safe or not. Sure, Sykkuno could say I could trust her as his ex partner. And I'd definitely call her pretty. Beautiful, even. But he never elaborate on if they left on good terms or not. On top of that, the fancy suit with a bloodstain well hidden on her shirt collar told me otherwise. I'd had my share of heartbreak in the past to know not all girls were what they seemed. So who's to say she wasn't the same?

...damn, fucking overthinking it again.

Let's just see if Rae was here to help or ruin my life like all the others.

Rae came closer as I saw a wary smile creep on Sykkuno's face. "Well, I ah...I've been alright. But that's besides the point. Rae, what are you doing here? You left this division just a few months ago so..." He trailed off just as Rae wagged her finger like a metronome and clicking her tongue, continuing to smile.

"Heh, heh. Isn't is obvious? I got...retired. Yeah, turns out they didn't have enough muscle on this payroll. Or so they told me. Overstaffed with agents on pointless missions and only one is give the pleasur— I mean, task to attack." She flopped her head to her left, looking past Sykkuno and at me. "But I guess this picture is worth a thousand words and you already knew that, didn't you, Corpse?" She winked.

Like all the others, her smile was lingering too long. When she said my name, it was like a taunt. However, was she trying to be personable with me? That statement seemed relatable...and that wink wasn't flirty. What was this girl about? I needed to fucking know!

"Hey there. I'm Rae." She introduced herself with a handshake. It was firm.

"Corpse...but I suppose you already knew that" I said in a snarky tone. If Cartel had been watching me before I joined, maybe she already knew me because she tailed me at some point. She smirked back and gripped my hand with her nails before letting go.

"Honestly, I only know your name, Corpse...or if that really is your real name. I heard a highly skilled reinforcer was picked up, but I didn't expect you to actually work with these guys. I mean, don't you work alone in these parts?"

"I did...but this trial period is really growing on me." I shrugged.

"Ahh, honeymoon phase. Gotcha. My condolences." Rae nodded sympathetically. "I remember those times. Sykkuno always treated me so nice back then."

Sykkuno blushed and covered his mouth. "What??"

Rae bellowed a laugh. "I'm kidding! You were probably the only one who did treat me better than a freaking doormat!"

Sykkuno pursed his lips before letting loose a good point. "Rae...I thought you hated this place, that it tied you down. How are you back? Didn't you go elsewhere to work alone?"

"I was in Poki's division. She let's us...let loose a little more than Toast's division. A lot more solo work. Last mission was a bit of a close call for me, but I managed to get by."