Leo

I've been here over a week and I still haven't found my soulmate. However, this situation could definitely be worse. My new foster mom, Hestia, is actually nice; and not just because she has to be. She obviously isn't desperate for the money from the government, she's soft spoken and clearly doesn't have a violent bone in her body, and she doesn't act like me being here is a chore. Without a doubt she's the nicest person I've ever had foster me. I have a room all to myself, despite the fact that Hestia has two other kids. They're adopted of course, but they're still hers. Hestia let's me go out whenever, but she actually called Piper to check up on me, which is a nice feeling. For once I actually have a guardian who seems to care a little bit about me.

Which is why I'm sure there's no way this is going to last.

Everything is too easy. It's too perfect. Piper lives nearby. Apparently so does my soulmate. The school seems fine. Jason, the guy I met in school, is friendly, and apparently popular enough that I shouldn't have to worry too much about getting picked on. He's also Piper's famed detested soulmate, which would be almost funny if it wasn't so sad. I've been there less than five days and even I can see the way he's infatuated with her, and the way Piper wants nothing to do with him.

Something is going to go wrong. Hestia will be declared an unfit guardian, or she'll decide to move. Or worse, she'll get hurt. Then I'll be sent away. Again.

So for now I'll make the best of it, and run away at the first sign of trouble. At least I can see Piper now. I've missed her more than I care to admit. I don't care about anyone in the world except myself and Piper (and my soulmate but I haven't met her yet.) Piper and I have been close ever since we first met each other during detention at the wilderness school. She'd never admit it but I can tell she's having a rough time of it right now. That scene after the party was a nightmare. I'm used to having negligent guardians who don't give a damn, but Piper can't seem prepared to accept that her dad doesn't care about her. And her OCD is getting bad again. It breaks my heart to see her dry, cracked hands and the way she tries to hide her compulsions, like tapping the railing on her staircase before she goes upstairs, scratching three lines into the corner of her paper before she writes any notes at school, amd leaving a few bites of food on her plate no matter what she's eating.

Piper and I have been through a lot together, from surviving mind numbing boredom at the wilderness school, to prank wars, sticking together even when I was on the run and miles away because of the stupid foster system. She'd even bailed me out of jail a few times. We're more than friends, we're siblings, partners in crime. I'd kill for Piper and at this point I'm sure she'd do the same for me. I don't trust hardly anyone, but I'd trust Piper with my life.

I sigh, flopping back against my pillows, fiddling with the tiny pieces in my hands. One of my new foster siblings, Harley, enjoys taking apart the few remote control cars he has, to play with their motors and such. He'd given me one of the older motors last night hoping that I could fix it, but the truth is the kid would probably better at fixing it than I am; despite my background in anything engineering related. He's a bit of a prodigy when it comes to this kind of stuff.

The room Hestia gave me is nice, even though it's plain. The walls are a pale yellow I'd do away with given the chance but it's bright and has a huge window. Just the fact that I don't have to share with anyone is a blessing. I can't remember the last place I stayed at where I didn't have to share a room with at least one other person. The place is a little under-decorated sure, but it's not like I have much I can put up to fix that problem. My meagre possessions are mostly worn clothes and toiletries. The most expensive thing I own is my battered phone, and even it's old and well used.

Speaking of my phone, it buzzes and I briefly wonder how expensive it would be to upgrade my battered old iPhone four. I know the answer already: too much.