1

───── ⸝⸝ Perception

───── ⸝⸝ Perception

Hesitation spreads through my chest like birds, fluttering silver wings against gilded cage doors
beating faster as if walls were closing in, panicking with nowhere to go. 

Against the beaming blue sky sat a few bright clouds. The smell of charcoal, dust and sweat was otherworldly to me. My uniform sat neatly against my skin, making me itchy all over, but I could not move from the stance.

"Hey, you!" Keith Shadis, the head of Military Training Corps yelled at the young blond boy standing right beside me, about the same age as me. "What do they call you, maggot?!" He yells louder as the boy salutes.

"Armin Arlert, from Shiganshina, sir!" He yells back. I could see the intenseness and fear in his big eyes as I sideglanced him.

"Wow, seriously? Why would your parents curse you with such a dumb name!?" Shadis yells at the blond boy.

"It was my grandfather, sir!" He yells back keeping his blue eyes levelled with Shadis's.

"Cadet Arlert!" He bends down to his level. "Why is a runt like you here?!"

"To help humanity overcome the titans!" He says shakily. "That is delightful to hear," says Shadis, side-eyeing me. "You're gonna be a great snack for them!" He yells at Arlert and moves on to another guy.

Armin sighs in relief. "T-that was scary," he whispers, seemingly to himself. I continue looking straight ahead.

Shadis is a tall and intimidating man. He's bald, with prominent wrinkles on his forehead and dark circles around his eyes. I start zoning out, thinking about the times where I was a child. I grew up underground, being orphaned at 10, I had no choice but to seek shelter there. I had never seen a titan before, but the thought kind of bores me.

I just wanna find out what happened to my parents and why it happened. 

I glance at the blond boy beside me, he seemed to be deep in thought too. He seems really kind, I wish I could be friends with him. Too bad I'm not good at socializing. He's as tall as me, just a few centimeters taller and he has a generally small frame. He looks rather feminine with his rounded face and blond bob, slightly upturned nose and bright blue eyes that withhold dreams, wonder and loads of sadness.

He seemed to notice my gaze as the tip of his nose turned pink and he turned his gaze to the ground. I hesitantly look away from him and turn my attention back to Shadis.

"Who the hell are you?!" Shadis yells at a tall boy with ash brown hair.

"Jean Kirschtein sir, from the Trost District!" He yells back with his deep voice as he salutes Shadis.

"And why are you here, Cadet?"

"To join the Miltary Police sir; the best of the best," he replies as I cringe. I can already feel hatred bubble up in my chest for him, like children blowing bubbles in a summer afternoon.