51

Armin and I follow Jean up a few stairs and then down a narrow hall, the ship swaying ever so slightly because of the water current

Everything smells salty and fresh like the sea, a scent I found comforting when we first encountered the sea. Now, it feels rather suffocating; almost makes me nauseous.

But I couldn't tell if that was really because of the smell of the sea or because I dreaded what was to come.

At the end of the narrow hall was an opened door and Reiner leaned against the frame, his back to us, while Pieck and Gabi sat against the wall close to the door.

Reiner turns around at the sound of our footsteps, his face twisted with worry and anxiety, his eyes filled with exhaustion.

I step into the room, Connie and Armin following suit. Everyone's here except for Magath.

"Where's Magath?" I ask, a little confused. He's always the one to lead everyone.

"He's... dead." Mikasa replies. "Him and Shadis both."

"W-what?"

"(Y/N), he-he stayed behind and-and he sacrificed himself for us!" Gabi stutters from behind me. "I told him to wait a little till you got back... I thought you would've been able to think of another way!"

If I hadn't spent so much time on Armin, if I had maybe just left him in Onyankopon's care, Magath and Shadis would be alive.

My fingers instantly fly to my mouth and I begin chewing on my nails subconciously out of anxiety.

It's my fault someone died. Again.

"We decided with Magath that we go to Odiha," Kiyomi says after a moment of silence.

"W-we're not going to Liberio?!" I exclaim, a bit irritated.

"It was the only choice left," Kiyomi explains. "We can't save them."

We can't save the Grice Family... Or Reiner's family. Bertolt's or Gabi's. We can't even save what's left of the Tyburs.

"Then... I have no reason left to keep fighting." Annie falls to her knees, crestfallen. "I'm getting off. Even if the Rumbling stopped this very moment, we wouldn't be able to stop Liberio and Marley from being annihilated."

"Even Magath understood that." Hanji argues, looking down at Annie's hunched figure with a frown. "But still, he put his life on the line to clear a path for us. He didn't do it for the sake of Liberio or Marley. He did it so we could save even one more life of a stranger..." She looks so hurt as she speaks. "Whose name he'll never know..."