chapter 19

Slytherin Party Aesthetic

*******************************************

"Stay still," Violetta instructed, applying the final touches to my eyeliner.

"You know this is pointless, I'll probably end up smudging it as soon as we get downstairs."

"Well, until then, I'll be able to enjoy my creation," she smiled, tossing the pen down as she stepped back to admire my face, "okay, I'm done."

I stood up from the stool, glancing into the vanity mirror to inspect the final outcome.

She hadn't added that much makeup, but it was just enough to make my fern eyes seem increasingly green.

I smiled, pleased as I adjusted the silk black mini dress to ensure it wouldn't ride up my thighs all night.

"You ready?"

I nodded, following her out of the dorm and down the stairs with some of the other partygoers.

As we approached, the pounding music grew louder, almost shaking the stone walls from its force.

We ducked through the archway into the scope of the common room, finally able to see the party in all its glory for the first time.

The space was almost unrecognisable; a thick foggy hue of smoke drifted around the air in a surreal manner, making it difficult to see a fair distance across the room.

The long paned windows, which normally exposed the lake, were covered by a strange thin sheet, the light filtering through and casting a murky glow of green around us.

Despite Pansy's insistence about exclusivity, it seemed that nearly the whole of our house was present; sprawled across sofas, lip-locked against walls, dancing to the bassy music without a care in the world.

Immediately, it was very obvious that most people were either wasted or high on drugs of some sort, in some cases, perhaps both.

Plenty of them were dragging on cigarettes and blunts, not caring when the smoke rose to the ceiling, adding to the close atmosphere.

All in all, it looked like a nightclub, not a common room, the studious atmosphere replaced by a hedonistic existence, indulgent, unrestrained.

"What now?" I spoke to Violetta, having to yell over the volume of music exploding from the speakers dotted around.

She smiled wickedly, grabbing two green cups from a tray that floated past, "now, we get fucked up."

We cheersed our drinks briefly before downing them, the harsh burn of firewhisky and fizz of coke igniting our throats.

The witch took my hand, dragging me through the crowd as she spotted our friends standing a little distance away.

Adrian shot me a lazy grin upon our arrival, throwing his arm around my neck like a heavy dumbbell.