chapter 61

The first thing that returned to me was sound; the distant murmur of muted voices, a roll of metal wheels, the soft buzz of electric lights.

All out of reach, a collective hum drifting around me.

And then pain, dull and exhausting, as if my bones themselves ached, a weakness to the blood in my veins.

It seemed to travel into my brain, morphing into a heavy fog, a dazed sensation wrapped around the fibres of my thoughts.

I tried to sense the connections of my body, reaching for feeling in the extremities, ensuring they were still there, relieved once I felt the weight of my legs and arms.

I groaned as I attempted to shift against the soft mattress, the pain intensifying a fraction causing me to give up on the idea altogether.

"I think she's waking up," a soft voice, closer than the low babble further away.

My eyes fluttered open at the sound, the bright lights overhead burning into my retinas as I adjusted, blinking repeatedly to clear the faint blur across my vision.

There was a slight shadow across my form as two familiar faces leaned in, their heads haloed by the white fluorescents.

"Luna... Pansy?"

My voice was dry and unrecognisable, coarse as it travelled up my throat, prompting me to swallow in an attempt to ease the sore pang.

Luna smiled gently, "yes it's us."

"Whe- where am I?"

I tried to turn my head, taking in the strange surroundings, a few hospital beds lined up on either side, most of the curtains drawn for privacy.

"St Mungo's."

I brought my attention back to the girl's faces, disorientated, "how long have I been here?"

"Three days, it's Monday," Pansy clarified.

I let the fact linger for a moment, my brain attempting to absorb the information, but it felt difficult, like a damp sponge trying to soak up too much water.

If I really tried, faint memories flickered in my mind, but they seemed fuzzy, distant, as if I'd imagined them.

"What happened?"

They exchanged a look, concern clear on their faces.

"The Ministry was infiltrated, do you remember?" Luna spoke slowly, as if to a toddler.

I nodded, the mist clearing a fraction in my mind; the Ministry, Bellatrix, the eradication scheme, the explosion, Snape healing me, evacuating the women, the chaos of the atrium.

"Dementors were called to help, Dumbledore wanted to ensure none of the culprits could escape, but you got caught in the fallout."

And then more memories; the Salvatio Zone, Lucius, Draco's hand, the frozen waterfall.

A cold slice of panic shot down my spine at the realisation of who was missing from my side.

"Draco, where's Draco?" I looked up at the girls, trying to raise my shoulders off the bed.

"He's at the manor, with Narcissa and Violetta" Pansy reassured, pushing me back against the bed.

"Is he okay?"

They shared another look, something indecipherable in their expression.

"He's safe..." Pansy trailed off, searching the blank air for the right words.

I gripped her arm, squeezing desperately tight.

"Tell me, what's wrong?"

She hesitated for a moment, seeming to debate if she wanted to tell me at all, but an encouraging nod from Luna caused her to continue.