chapter 26

The next day I walked into potions class, prepared for the worst as usual, only to find a familiar word written upon the chalk board.

Amortentia

I grinned slyly, bustling briskly over to my desk and placing my items on top of it as we awaited Snape's arrival.

A few moments later he came swooping in, his robes seeming to float behind him as he strode down the aisle, coming to a sharp stop next to the board.

He didn't bother with morning introductions, his tone clipped and void.

"Love Potions: Vol. 6. Page 335."

We all plucked identical books from the shelf nearby, following his instructions as he continued talking.

"There will be no pixie business today, this," he raised a small vial in his hand, the pearly white liquid swirling inside it, "is the most powerful love potion in existence. You are instructed to make it within the hour, and only if you manage to concoct some facet of an attempt, will I then inspect your efforts."

He brandished his wand towards the wall, the respective ingredients floating from the tiny vials and landing on our desks.

They were all the same as those I'd practiced with in the library, over a month ago now: rose petals, a singular Ashwinder egg, a moonstone, pearl dust and African sea salt.

I looked around to see students exchanging worried glances, some scanning over the book in confusion.

Snape remained stoic at the front, a slight hint of satisfaction in his air as he noticed the ripple of doubt.

The point couldn't have been more obvious; he didn't expect us to succeed, not even slightly.

I waited for him to conjure an hourglass, beginning only once it had been turned over.

My hands moved at a calm pace as I followed the recipe with ease.

I was sure that I could have done it without the help of the book, I'd practically memorised how to conceive the mixture, but I wanted to be sure.

Just as I had done in the tutoring session, I sliced the rose petals into thin strips with my wand, throwing them into the cauldron with the yolk of the egg.

As it began to bubble, I sprinkled in the correct quantities of pearl dust and sea salt, eventually adding the crushed moonstone, a fraction at a time just as Draco had done.

I leaned forward periodically as I stirred, ensuring that it smelt of nothing.

There were frustrated exclamations from others whilst I worked, each student seeming to struggle with their work in different ways.

Finally, once I was pleased with the consistency, I added the last of the crystals, watching in satisfaction as the white translucence morphed into the correct pearly sheen.

Delicate tendrils of steam began to rise from the pot, so I turned the flame down to a safe heat before leaning forward, inhaling.

I waited for a moment, expecting a soft trace of vanilla, but something else materialised, overwhelmingly potent.

Apple-mint, fresh linen, petrichor.

I pulled back in horror, grabbing the book and scanning the method to ensure I'd done it correctly.

But everything seemed to be in order, the colour, thickness, even the smoke expulsion.

It was perfect.

I turned to the next page, titled Nature & Notes, scanning through it in hopes of some fault clause.

Amortentia possesses a different aroma for each individual, reminding the smeller of the things that they find most attractive.